Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

o/t notebook computers

George_Gerhard

Any recommendations on notebooks other than Dell. Not than I have anything against Dell I am typing from a Dell notebook now. I was at a customers factory this past week, and a piece, a large piece that is of dust collection hose smashed into my keyboard, many keys no longer work, my cd drive is inoperative, and now my screen is flickering. The chasis is actually bent.

I would appreciate any suggestions on good notebooks than will run mastercam and autocad, and the typical ofice applications.

thank you

George

I would look at the newer Toshibas and HP wide screen models.

One thing about the HP wide screen is a full keyboard.

I have the Toshibia with a 16" screen and works great.

It also comes with Nvidia Chipset.

the newer ones have more video ram.

I would take a look at the AlienWare Laptop it has a real agp slot that can be updated.

Be careful with any laptop (including the Alienware) if you need a serial port for communications. Many do not have one (replaced by USB and Firewire). Another unit to look at is the Pro-Star. They are heavy, and large, but full of options. Finally, I am not sure about the problems with MC and ATI video cards that were discussed in other threads. I am currently running an older Dell laptop with an ATI Radeon Mobility-P chip with no problems. However I do not usually run large surface intense models. You should check with others on whether the ATI video chips on the mobile units cause the same problems with MC as the ATI card for desktops. HTH