Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Migration to 2018 from X8

milehighxr

So we've upgraded to 2018 from X8, and I ran the migration utility. It does not seem to have done what I expected it to. It says in the help file that the config files don't need migrating. We have everything set up with X8 to look at our server for customer part files, and for the posts, etc..(basically everything that in public\sharedmcamx8 or whatever it was called). Migration utility seems to have created the files where I needed them, but if I open an old file, and try to post, 2018 doesn't recognize where my posts are. It did update them as near as I can tell, but it doesn't have them associated with the machine definition files anymore(if I look at the machine/control def the post isin't there).

Is there a quick fix for this, or am I redoing all of this manually like I did when I created it all in X8?

THose paths NEED to be set manually....

Go into your config and set them there......

If you keep your posts and such on the server, those may as well need to be relinked....

Make sure any local versions get removed otherwise the software will run home to those directories....

Network setups can be nice but they take more than point & click to maintain

DO NOT, I repeat do NOT place your X8 config into your 2018 directory.....

There is a merge option...I haven't used it so I don't know what, if any pitfalls there might be..

Vvor9Oq.png

The problem with the help file is it does not list that network installations will require more interaction than just using the Migration Wizard..

Edited by Guest
Just now, milehighxr said:

Out of curiosity why not drag and drop the x8 config into 2018?

All of your paths will be wrong.....and it is most likely you would crash upon start up until you removed it and started fresh