Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Mastercam lathe?

jspangler

I've been a beta site for the lathe module since

late V7 and V9.1 SP2 lathe is about as bug free as software gets.

I'm not familar with Lathe Entry and looked on

Mastercam's web site for info, but couldn't find any.

The regular lathe program is very good. There is nothing stripped down about it. You can do regular turn and burn lathe jobs in 5 minutes. Complex stuff is limited only by your imagination.

You can even use all the milling toolpaths for mill/turn centers.

As an all-purpose lathe program I think its the best out there.

I use lathe almost daily and I guarantee you will not be sorry.

The only bugs I ever found in lathe were me.

If you already have MC mill I think lathe is much cheaper than If you did not have Mill. Correct me if I am wrong.

There is, as in all valuable things, the work in learning. Lathe will be very similar to mill but different in the way a lathe is different from a mill. So you have to think lathe when using it.

By the way, do you play that Fender laying down like that, or are you fixing it? I used to play with a guy who played it like that in the Navy on a Carrier in '63 in Nam. He played it pretty well.

Cheers

quote:

By the way, do you play that Fender laying down like that,

Uumm...

Looks more like a Les Paul custom to me.

John,I too use lathe on a daily basis and love it.

We had been using tek soft pro cam and it whacked it compared.

It took a little bit of a learning curve,but once you get it,it is soooo easy! wink.gif

I also looked on the web site for info on lathe entry but could not find any info either.

I would see exactly what the diff. is first.

There are a bunch of us who use it here so you know we will be here for you when you need us.

It sounds to me after talking to you that your parts are not real complicated.

John

I like the lathe package a lot, Brendan and I use it all of the time and have much banghead.gif experience, along with PhilCott and some of the other guys [Troy Newman, Trevor Bailey, etc], so you definitely have a support system out here.

I don't know what the 'entry' deal is but the full lathe package is really nice.

C

Hi

Cool. That's what I was hoping to hear. I actually have Bobcad V17, that I was told by the Haas factory outlet where I bought my machine, " it will be PERFECT for what you need to do".

Umm, OK. frown.gif

ANyways, I will play with the demo disk a little, then probably pick it up around Westec. I am PRETTY sure I'll need a post, so thanks.

John

PS, that guitar/beer bottle thing was my "ran outta licks, now what??" move. I could play the hardest stuff I'd been working on, and only the hardcore guitar dudes in the crowd wuld get it, but Damn, pick up that beer bottle and everyone thought I was Jimi Hendrix...

Ah, The good old days.... wink.gif

Hi

Sorry, actually it's an Epiphone Custom with EMGs.

Back then, I couldn't afford a REAL les paul.

Plus back in the eighties/early nineties when I was playing alot, gibson's quality was NOT what it used to be. The fretwork, and inlays on all the Les Pauls I ever checked out ( at $3,000 and up) was crappy, I built most of my guitars when I was working at BC Rich, and still have them. Back then, BC Rich's were HANDMADE by the little mexican dudes in the shop, with the most PRIMITIVE tools you ever saw. Definitely not the junk that's coming in from overseas today.

Thanks

John

I started with Lathe 7, but didn't really like it. Redoing anything was such a pain. It seem easier to use the Okuma IGF.

Then came Lathe 8, and I haven't written more than a couple of IGF programs since. The only reason I would do it (use IGF) is if I was having a problem with MC. I usually would find the MC problem was me. I would have to say that the only thing I really ever have trouble with is the grooving processes. There are just so many variables that must be contended with from job to job.

Still in all, MC lathe really works well.

In V7 lathe was not associative. A Real Pain if you were also using V7 Mill (which was associative). If all your doing is 2x, lathe Entry is a great product for the price. You do give up the solid verify in Entry, but the 2D backplot (with Verify = Y) is usually enough for a 2X lathe work. It's as good as the graphics verify you'll find on most controls.

That's a nice looking Ax. Could just be the tint of the picture, but It looks like it has the gold plated hardware. I have an old Gibson Epiphone that I bought in 1978. It's more of a thin body, arch top, "F" hole style. Has the single cobalt pick up, brazilian rosewood fretboard and one piece top and back. I think it about a 1964-66. I dont play it a lot, but cant bring myself to part with it. biggrin.gif

Mike Mattera

HI

Thanks.

I actually played with Lathe a little at school this weekend, and am pretty sure i'm getting it. Rob also mentioned that the main difference was the solid verify, etc. The Stock recognition rules, can't wait for that in Mill!!

The les paul was the custom version with the gold hardware, etc. I just swapped in some EMGs for the gold plated standard pickups (IMO, the only BAD thing about Epiphones) and pulled off the pickguard.

I'll send some pix of the lathe and control later today, and maybe you can let me know what everything does.

Thanks

John