Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Daewoo VS Haas

Fred A

If you mean the Haas Toolroom Mill which is basically a knee mill retrofit with the Haas control, and without a tool changer, it's closer to $25K as I recall. However I've worked on the VF1 (16x20) and larger Haas machines and they are xcellent for prototype work. They are easy to use, accurate and have great feed rate optimization in the control for high speed work. I have worked on Fadals, Bridgeports, Hardinge, Cinicnatti, Fryer and others but have never worked on a Daewoo. Out of all, Haas gets my vote.

Phil

Welcome, FredA! cheers.gif

I also have been looking at Daewoo machines of late, I may need to replace or upgrade one of my machines in the very near future.

I agree with "gcode" for the most part -

quote:

I would expect the Daewoo to be a stronger machine, but $ for $ I think you get more machine for your money buying Haas.

My experience with Haas machines is sort of limited at best.

I have a friend that has some Haas VF1 and VF2's (year 2000 somethings), when he has need, I do some programming for him. The programming part of a Haas is pretty simple and straightforward. I don’t care a whole lot for the keyboard buttons on the control or lack of a dial for speed and feed adjustments. But that is personal taste.

My only real problem with a Haas is that it seems to be a very light framed machine. Meaning, when I do programming for them I really have to be careful of the way I approach a job. I am use to the box way machines I have – ’95 and ’98 model Tree VMC’s – and I just cannot take the same cut on his Haas machines. My smallest machine is rated at less horsepower than his VF2, yet I can take almost twice the cut at the same feed without any chatter or whine from the cutter or machine. I have actually stalled his machine with a 2.5-inch face mill in H13 material, where mine with half the advertised HP took the cut fine? My insert cutters and end mills will last almost 2 to 1 as compared to his machines. (I base this on running some of the same parts on my machines to help him on a rush job) On the other hand the Haas machines must be pretty good for some jobs - as they are sold in this area to quite a few of the local shops.

Every machine has their good points and their drawbacks!

Base your decision on the material, and speed requirements your planned type of work will require, then find a machine to fit in your budget, is the best advice I can offer.

JM2C

Later,

Mark Anderson

Hands down Haas wins. especially for prototyping work and small jobs.

I also love the fact, that haas has one of the best chip converyors i've seen in a cnc in that price range. I know your thinking whats the big deal with a chip conveyor, well i would rather spend 5minutes cleaning a machine, than spend an hour of downtime cleaning another machine.

smile.gif