Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Surface Parallel Finish

Rob B

I am having a problem with surface parallel finish. I want the tool to only make negative Z cuts. I don't see any options to control this motion.

I have loaded a file on to ftp site. It is in the mc9 folder under: RCB surface parallel.zip

The problem is with the second toolpath (1st finish cut using 1/2 Iscar Ball Mill). If you backplot this toolpath you will see that it starts with a negative cut in Z. When it gets to the bottom of the part it starts up the opposite side with Z postive moves.

I want all the Z moves to be negative because my tool will be dragging if I try to do Z postive.

Can someone educate me on this problem.

Thanks

If I understand you right, I suggest adding limits geometry to stop the cut at the lowest point. Use one way for the direction. Then generate another toolpath from the opposite side. It is like doing half at a time.This will give the effect of plunge cutting by contour.

You may want to use 3D contour or scallop, top-down to get optimized results.

HTH biggrin.gif

Code_Breaker

cheers.gif

I tried the oneway with parallel and it still does a postive z move.

I tried 3d contour. It doesn,t do the positive z move. But it doesn't clean-up the cut surface in certain spots that do clean-up when using parallel finish.

I'll keep working.

Rob,

In the Surface-Rough-Parallel you can use the switch called "allow negative Z motion...". This switch is in the Rough-Parallel parameters tab of the operation. It's not available in the Finish operation. If you set your Max depth parameter in Rough to something that will basically cut the surface in one depth, you can approximate the Finish parallel toolpath with the Rough parallel toolpath. HTH cheers.gif