Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Surface Rough Contour - How to Choose Side?

Bill H

Sorry, I wasn't clear about what I'm working with.  The surface I'm working with is a loft generated from two closed contours and it looks kind of like a funnel with the narrow end facing up.  I'm trying to machine just the exterior of the funnel, but the toolpath generated by MC machines both the interior and the exterior.  How do I prevent this?  Thanks.

Bill,  

4 minutes ago, Bill H said:

Sorry, I wasn't clear about what I'm working with.  The surface I'm working with is a loft generated from two closed contours and it looks kind of like a funnel with the narrow end facing up.  I'm trying to machine just the exterior of the funnel, but the toolpath generated by MC machines both the interior and the exterior.  How do I prevent this?  Thanks.

plug off the hole in the top to keep tool from going inside.

Hi Bill,

The best way to control the Surface Finish and Surface Rough Contour paths, is by using a Containment Boundary. This is (typically) a chain above the part. This chain will represent the "centerline" of where the tool spindle is allowed to cut.

After you create and chain the boundary for the path, you have the option of selecting Inside, Center, or Outside, for containment options. For cutting the inside of a funnel, you'll want either 'inside' or 'center'.

Murlin - I'm using MC 2017.  I tried creating another surface to close the top of the funnel, but this made no difference. 

Colin - I tried the containment boundary, but MC ignores it and continues to cut on both side so the funnel surface.