Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

smoothing deletes toolpath

LucasGC

hey friends. I've hit a little snag. I have a scallop toolpath that I'm happy with, but i've programmed it with .005 overall tolerance so that it would regen quickly as I was changing other options. Now when I go to change the tolerance, i only turn on smoothing 90%, and set cut tol to 10%. When i regen this it regens quickly but there is no toolpath. verify will say please select at least one operation to run

5 hours ago, C^Millman said:

Well I never use smoothing so you might have found a bug.

The only way I would use tool path smoothing is on a very faceted mesh surface model. Maybe if I was machining a loose STL...

That is what the filter was designed for years ago before solids.....crappy translators would cause IGES files to be

all gaped and some of the NURBS trims would be all hooky and  you had to use a small tool and all those surface bumps would require tons of work on the bench on most general machine work, molds, dies ect....

if you are going to bench out that stuff to begin with just use a filter and smooth it out on the machine...less to bench.....but trying to use the smoothing filter with extremely tight tolerances IMO is not the best practice.

With nice smooth solids and careful boundary selections, tool paths are excellent without it.

Scallop is great but there are other tool paths that will do the same job a lot better...

• Like 1
14 hours ago, Müřlıń® said:

The only way I would use tool path smoothing is on a very faceted mesh surface model. Maybe if I was machining a loose STL...

That is what the filter was designed for years ago before solids.....crappy translators would cause IGES files to be

all gaped and some of the NURBS trims would be all hooky and  you had to use a small tool and all those surface bumps would require tons of work on the bench on most general machine work, molds, dies ect....

if you are going to bench out that stuff to begin with just use a filter and smooth it out on the machine...less to bench.....but trying to use the smoothing filter with extremely tight tolerances IMO is not the best practice.

With nice smooth solids and careful boundary selections, tool paths are excellent without it.

Scallop is great but there are other tool paths that will do the same job a lot better...

I definitely have a lot to learn... I'm finally happy with the way my machine is running, I do feel like I'm starting at the basics again but even the basics now are better than what I was doing. However this part i'm working with really does have a lot of small surface gaps, they're smaller than the tool but still might throw the geometry off a little. It looks like Frankenstein surfaces. 

I'm just trying to find a workaround for this tangency factor. I still don't know how it works, i have this theory. I think the smaller detailed parts you are cutting you would want smaller tangency, or else it would jump into the corner and jump out. for larger parts you'd want high tangency so that it doesn't slow down around curves. you could change it between every toolpath but you couldn't run any with small geometry and large geometry in the same toolpath. default 1 seems to work fine on small and large parts, but I wanted to try the filter settings to see what effect it would have on tangency factor.

Really still trying to figure out what filtering does.

if i have .005 overall and 10% cut tol, 90% filter, (.0005, .0045) does that mean it will generate a .0005 cut tol toolpath, and then remove all of the line segments smaller than .0045" ?

If I am using .005 overall, 10% cut, 90% smoothing does that mean it will put... tangent arcs? that runs through the 10% generated points to make an arc with a .0045 length?

I think this is wrong