Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

3D Hybrid toolpath

LucasGC

Hi all,

Had a couple questions on some options with this toolpath. First thing, can't seem to get the limiting angle to work currently, whether i put it at 1 or 89 i see no difference - though the flat detection does work. I've tried this with a small z stepdown as well as a small 3d stepdown

Also was looking for preferred ways to start this toolpath - i like to start with my z stepdown at a small value and my 3d at a large value, that way it creates a sort of raster toolpath that is less complex than the 3d stepover. The problem is this does leave bigger gaps in shallow areas, so i then decrease my 3d value just until i get toolpaths where i want them, and i use the filter to remove small passes / small segments - i really like this feature.

I'm wondering if there is a way to generate more z passes rather than reducing my 3d stepover value. I'd just rather use only z passes because my machine usually has trouble with the 'transitions' on 3d cut paths

On 10/5/2018 at 12:17 PM, LucasGC said:

Hi all,

Had a couple questions on some options with this toolpath. First thing, can't seem to get the limiting angle to work currently, whether i put it at 1 or 89 i see no difference - though the flat detection does work. I've tried this with a small z stepdown as well as a small 3d stepdown

Also was looking for preferred ways to start this toolpath - i like to start with my z stepdown at a small value and my 3d at a large value, that way it creates a sort of raster toolpath that is less complex than the 3d stepover. The problem is this does leave bigger gaps in shallow areas, so i then decrease my 3d value just until i get toolpaths where i want them, and i use the filter to remove small passes / small segments - i really like this feature.

I'm wondering if there is a way to generate more z passes rather than reducing my 3d stepover value. I'd just rather use only z passes because my machine usually has trouble with the 'transitions' on 3d cut paths

I find the best limiting angles are 30, 40, 45, 50, and 60 degrees, although I've gone as low as 10, and as high as 80. 1 or 89 are practically useless as values, since that is super close to flat or vertical. The general idea (as I'm guessing you already know), is to cut the more vertical areas with a bigger step down (contour or waterline style motion), and to use a 3D motion in the flatter areas, similar to scallop, with a tighter stepover value.

The problem is that the path motion is broken currently, as it tries to cut the part twice...

I have been getting great results in 2017, so it is a real bummer that the path is broken currently. 

I had an hour session with it a week ago and the results were so weird ( read unusable) that I ditched the whole idea .  I went back to  my old style ,  surface contour and old school shallow  set at 10 degrees , with the size of the tool in shallow  0.3 mm larger that in reality.

Gracjan

• Like 1