Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Way O/T NHL Bertuzzi, May & Crawford

Avs_Fan

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

If this hit had not done such severe damage, it would be just another hit.These guys are hired to do this kind of stuff. Not just on these teams ,but on all teams.

The fact that the penalties are based on what kind of damage is done as opposed to the act itself is what kills me.I'm willing to bet that all of us have seen the same cheap shot dozens of times with no call made.

If the league is going to have rules, have 'em for everyone. If your going to let em slide , let em slide for everyone . Don't judge based on the result of the action, judge the action itself. Bertuzzi, Mcsorley, or Lemieux shouldn't be judged any differently than some who attacked and didn't injure the opponent as badly.

This is hockey and people WILL get hurt,penalize him and the next guy who does it(regardless of the injury suffered)anf PLAY ON !

Personally i don't like that brand of revenge hockey, but we all still watch it. biggrin.gif

Hey Paul,

It's not a sport here. It is part of the Canadian Identity. What the hell else are we going to do for half the year if we don't play hockey? Don't say curling.

glad you liked the show. CBC is a national radio/tv network and has some really interesting shows. You will notice no comercials. The programming is not about ratings. Check back from time to time to get a Canadian twist on world events. I am sure you will find the reporting quite different than wnat you are used to. This is not to say better just different.

Phil

He should have been suspended for at least a year right out the gate. Though Moore had retribution coming to him for his hit on Naslund (in an earlier game,) the Canucks didn't do anything to him in Denver AND Moore already got into a 1st period fight prior to getting cold-cocked by Bertuzzi.

My $.02 (USD)

I dont follow hockey, because its to boring for my taste, instead i prefer watching golf. Its way more exciting.

Anyway i saw the news clip on bertuzzi hitting the poor guy. What a focking coward, way to sucker punch someone, because you want to start a fight.

He deserves to be banned from hockey, anytime you try to harm someone, theres a possibilty you could seriously injure them. For his cowardly action he deserves the consequences and thats, ban the coward from hockey and any hockey related job.

edit.

Does anyone know, whether Bertuzzi will still get paid during his suspension???

quote:

Does anyone have some insight into the possible lockout next season?

Nobody really knows what will happen. I think there will be a lockout. I'm wondering if there'll be any movement of teams or contraction. How much money can the league be making on teams like Phoenix (bring back the Winnipeg Jets!!!), Carolina, Nashville and Atlanta? Probably not a whole lot.

mackius... by your logic just about everyone in hockey would be banned. trying to harm someone is the name of the game. personally i don't think his intent was to end the guys career or season for that matter. he just landed a better punch then he intended and then EVERYONE piling on caused more damage. i just don't believe this guys intent was malicious. thats like saying Earnarhdt Sr.'s intent was malicious every time he wrecked someone to get by them and win the race.

to biss03,

do you agree or not, anytime you have a fight there's a possibility someone could get seriously hurt?

Besides, do we really need to see violence in sports in order to enjoy it more. What type of message are we sending to young kids, that violence is acceptable, because its okay to hurt someone in hockey?

quote:

Besides, do we really need to see violence in sports in order to enjoy it more. What type of message are we sending to young kids, that violence is acceptable, because its okay to hurt someone in hockey?

There aren't many sports that can compare to hockey's intensity...Aussie football and lacrosse are the only two I can think of. You might think football, but trust me, it's not. If you've never played organized hockey before, you may never understand. Fighting, although violent, is needed in hockey. It's a release that is often required. But once again, I'm going to bring up the instigator rule. That rule, put in place coincidentally the around the same time that ESPN negotiated a bigh contract with the NHL, has caused nothing but trouble. Before that rule, the only guys that fought, were fighters. They were there to protect the stars of the team. You take a cheap shot at the star of the other team, their fighters will remember your number and will be coming after you soon. You fought and that was the end of it. Now with the instigator rule, anyone can think they're a big shot and take out anybody. If someone from the other team comes after you for retribution, that's fine, 'cause the instigator rule will see him out of the game for instigating a fight.

to bulliness:

I've never played hockey or watched it so maybe this is why i still don't understand it.

So are you saying with the instigator rule in place, if you start a fight you get thrown out, and so the other teams fighters can't get you?

Is my interpretation of this right???

quote:

So are you saying with the instigator rule in place, if you start a fight you get thrown out, and so the other teams fighters can't get you?

Let's create a scenario...

Let's take two teams; Flames (my team) and Leafs (everybody else's team) biggrin.gif

Jarome Iginla is the Flame's leading scorer (he's a decent fighter too but ignore that). He's paid to score and he's also the team's captain. Now let's say Nik Antropov, from the Leafs, crosschecks Iginla in across the back of the head. Iginla goes down and likely gets a concussion...it hurts...trust me. Chris Simon, from the Flames, sees this while he's on the bench and makes a mental note to go after Antropov the next time they're on the ice toghter. When they are, he picks his moment and starts throwing punches at Antropov, resulting in a fight. Chris Simon is a capable fighter but Antropov is a finesse player who tried to act tough. Chris Simon would eat him for breakfast biggrin.gif Now let's see the difference in the rules...

With instigator penaly:

Chris Simon is out of the game for 10 minutes and the Flames get a major penalty (five minute), along with an injured captain. Nik Antropov cools off in the box for 2 or maybe 5 minutes.

Without instigator penalty:

Chris Simon would receive the same penalty as Antropov. Antorpov probably wouldn't have hit Iginla the way that he in the first place did because he would've known that he'd have to face Chris Simon, who wouldn't receive any additional penalty.

With the instigator rule, a lot of non-tough-guys play like they are tough guys because hardly anyone would retaliate, for fear of causing their team to be significantly short-handed.

When there was no instigator rule, the tough guys fought the tough guys and the finesse players just played.

Make sense? wink.gif

/Bullines dodges beer bottles from crazed Leafs fans