Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Changing WCS in MC Lathe V9

n_tydingco

I've got a part to do that was imported from Solidworks and was modeled in such a way that a change in the WCS or tool plane is necessary.

Looking at it in an isometric view, I want to change it so my top view (-DZ) will be what is now the side view. My origin will be the center of the ID at the large diameter end of the part.

I placed the file in the lathe folder of Jay's FTP site: Socket8-m4.mc9 or here: ftp://www.ppcadcam.com/Mastercam_forum/Lathe/

I'll continue to see if I can find the answer myself but will appreciate any tips given in the meantime.

What Todd said...

Don't try to use WCS or tool planes for turning operations in Lathe. You must move the geometry.

I have a severe proble with this as well. The Integrex and the part we machine requires multiple tool planes and the post I am using is a lathe post with milling functions added. I need this function and have spent hours trying to get it right. The other little problem is between SP1 and SP2 - there is a rotational shift of 90 degrees on the tool paths and so if one programmer (SP2) is doing some festures in on a legacy SP1 file, then there is an error amount in the finla outcome.

Please address this - your maintenance users are expecting it to be fixed.

Whoops! Forgot to update and close out --

I ended up translating the geometry between views (per Todd's suggestion) and it worked to keep my Cplane/Tplane at (-DZ.) Other methods of translating changed it to (XY) and I couldn't get back to (-DZ).

What I had originally hoped was that a new Tplane (-DZ) could be defined without having to translate any of the geometry.

~Norbert

quote:

The other little problem is between SP1 and SP2 - there is a rotational shift of 90 degrees on the tool paths and so if one programmer (SP2) is doing some festures in on a legacy SP1 file, then there is an error amount in the finla outcome.

Andrew, I cannot duplicate this. Are you sure you were not switching between Lathe and Mill? C0 on a lathe will be 90 degrees different than A0 on Mill.

Glenn,

I am not able to duplicate this either, I did notice this at first with a fresh install of SP2, I have since done some configuration and now the problem is not apparent to me. The problem may have been related directly to WCS and now, as is the suggestion here, we will not use a feature that we need.