Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

MC and Laser?

M. Anderson

Jay,

I have a freind who is looking for laser software. Allen Drost, my dealer, is coming up next week to show him what he has.

But we were talking today and just wondering if maybe someone else was doing the same thing.

Using Mill, can you set up material cutting spec's based on something - so when you select a certain material thickness and type it will set the cutting parameters for the laser? I would think you could do this in wire farily easy?

I am sure the post would not be that big a deal.

Just thought I would ask - he don't want to be 1st at this! biggrin.gif

Thanks,

Mark Anderson

JimmyJoe! biggrin.gif

you back? Good to see they let you off the 5 out there.

Allen is coming up next week - we were talking about this at South-Tec.

Billy was kind of wanting to do this with Mill if possible as he has 5 or 6 Mazak mills he could also program with this.

Todd,

Yea, that might be a need - had not thought of that?

As long as we are not re-inventing the wheel!

Thanks,

Mark Anderson

I've setup people to use Mastercam Wire for lasers. All the taper and 4 axis stuff is useless, but Wire is the only product that will allow you to change power settings at every point in the path (For when you have to cut back the power for when you're too close to the last cut before it cools down). Tabs are in there as well. Takes a little getting used to, but it works.

Glen,

You bring up a good point about the power settings - I wondered if wire would be able to handle this. Thanks for the info.

Cam D.,

I was looking for some basic info to see how others were doing this. Thanks for the info about a C-Hook - might be a interesting option?

Our dealer and his staff are very capable, I am sure they will get what ever my friend's shop needs and help him get up and running.

Thanks to everyone!

Later,

Mark Anderson

Did a Trumpf 5-Axis laser post, then another later for a 2-Axis Trumpf.

Hardcoded the string for the 'laser technology table', which could have been prompt for, or otherwise input.

Used Tool # field for 'laser method' value

Used Dia. offset field for 'piecing type' value

Used Len. offset field for 'cutting type' value

Didn't need any input customization beyond these values.

Mark,

Glenn brought up a good point about changing the power settings at a point in Wire. If Billy is wanting to do that Wire may be a choice. The rest of the Laser posts that I have touched we have used Mill. Let us know what Billy thinks about that.

Glenn,

Thanks for that nugget I never thought of going with Wire for a Laser. I always used Mill and now I have an option.

Jimmy,

I mean Bubba no that's not right, Oh yeah Cornbread smile.gif

Steve

• 2 weeks later...