Welcome to eMastercam.com
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account
Photo

Thread Higbee

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

Kevin Goddard

Kevin Goddard

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 66 posts
Is the a method to higbee (blunt start) a stub acme thread in Mastercam? Been hand writing them and would like a better way if possible. Thanks in advance.

McRae

McRae

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,218 posts
Show me the code that you want so that I can see what a higbee is. Anything is possible given enough time or money...

kinglouie V

kinglouie V

walking wounded

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,875 posts
This has just come up for me and was wondering if anyone came up with anything? I have a formula that I can't remember what all of it means and I'd like to share for feed back. I am currently waiting for an install of MCX and writing by hand anyway. This formula calculates finish (vanish) point in "Z".

Z.1+Z(1)+MCC

DELTA RPM / PITCH / SERVO LAG CONSTANT = MCC

(NOTE: Z(1) "little one" is relative to tool tip.
I'm a little foggy on this one)

TIA

Kevin Goddard

Kevin Goddard

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 66 posts
I have not heard of a solution in Mastercam but I am not a poweruser post guru type. I higbee a lot of threads but I hand write em. I am sorry for the lack of help.

kinglouie V

kinglouie V

walking wounded

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,875 posts
Kevin,

so how do calculate and do you comp the servo lag?

Rick Henrickson The Boeing Co.

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,532 posts
I use to use a thinbit less then the thickness of root, use the standard thread cyle move my ref in z out 1/2 the pitch and program 1 theard pitch deep.

kinglouie V

kinglouie V

walking wounded

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,875 posts
we are told to cut them at a slower rpm usually at 100 rpm so that's why I'm calculating the servo lag.
(loss of pitch at encoder when speed changes)
the idea is to be a little gentle on the ball screws. no other reason I can think of.

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,532 posts
Louie you are correct there I forgot to add you need to slow rpm way down.

The first time I tried was on a 3 start thread and I forgot to chande the rpm the insert did not like that much.

nofalloff

nofalloff

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 103 posts
Kevin,
I've done it, but it was like forever ago. The way I think I did it was to create a second threading op using a square face grooving or cutoff tool. The tool only ran the Z depth to blunt the first third of a revolution of thread which was in my case about .062. the key was to program the lead out with a .01 z component and a .1 X component this retracted the tool over where the actual thread is to begin. program it as threading so that you can easily cut the blunt in a number of passes so its clean.

35K chipper

35K chipper

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 599 posts
Kevin
seco tools had a program you could download for there thread mills that had the highbee option in it. worked well. have not used in years. i think its still on an old p3 computer.

kinglouie V

kinglouie V

walking wounded

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,875 posts
when I was a kid I used to cut them on a mill to prep the blanks for LoneStar gage. NOBODY I've ever worked for turned higbees for fear of tearing up the machine. By the end of the day I had the formula wired. TGIF!
when I have my notes in front of me I'll share for those interested and to save for search later in case I lose the thing.

cheers!

nofalloff

nofalloff

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 103 posts
I'm in the process of trying to mod a post to output threading correctly and in playing with it tonight i realized the Mastercam doesn't have a Z pull off component nor can you specify the pull off angle. I seem to remember programming that higbee in Gibbs actually. that would really have been along time ago.

suppose you could add it in manually. maybe it will be in X3?

kinglouie V

kinglouie V

walking wounded

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,875 posts

quote:

maybe it will be in X3?

that would be sweet.