Welcome to eMastercam.com
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account
Photo

.stl to .stp file converter

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

Jeremy Herron@DBS Solutions™

Advanced Member

• eMC Learning Group
  • PipPipPip
  • 962 posts
I searched and did not see anything. My CMM guys want "in process" models. So I was thinking of saving the .stl from verify of each operation, and giving them that, but They need it to be in a .stp/.step format. Anyone know of a way to do this in mastercam or know of another convertor?

TIA

Mic

Mic

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 282 posts
stl is triangle data. I don't think you can convert this into stp ( solid ) data without using somekind of reverse enginering program like Geomagic Studio or similar.

GoetzInd

GoetzInd

Chip Making Strategyst

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,387 posts
That would be cool but I wonder how the quality would be...

Mike

Bill Henderson

Bill Henderson

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 238 posts
Not sure what CMM's they used to have where I was before but they used stl files.

They are positive its a step file?

Advanced Member

• eMC Learning Group
  • PipPipPip
  • 962 posts
It can be .iges, .stp, or catia format. I just did not want to have to draw the part after each operation. :wallbash: Will Verisurf do it?

Bill Henderson

Bill Henderson

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 238 posts
I just read in an stl into my solidworks. Saved it and then saved as step. It seemed to have worked... until I tried to open it in MC. But mcam is looking for solid or surface features.

Why can't they take the finished solid model in step. run the program and verify from that a set amount of stock they expect to have left from your roughing operations?

Seems like a lot of messing around to make sure a roughed part is roughed?

Maybe the CMM would be capable of reading the step I (you) created in Solidworks.

Just wondering.

Bill Henderson

Bill Henderson

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 238 posts
Read in your stl from verify into MCAM and save as an iges then.

Tyler Robertson

Tyler Robertson

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 2,155 posts
When solidworks saves it as a step, it does SAVE the file, but it technically may not won't adhere to the properties of a step model

Verisurf has an auto-surface feature that can put surfaces on a STL file, at which point you can save this as a STP/STEP

Tyler Robertson

Tyler Robertson

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 2,155 posts
funny that the CMM guys want a surface/solid model - usually they're the ones giving me the decimated STLs from their goofy scanners

Bill Henderson

Bill Henderson

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 238 posts

When solidworks saves it as a step, it does SAVE the file, but it technically may not won't adhere to the properties of a step model

Verisurf has an auto-surface feature that can put surfaces on a STL file, at which point you can save this as a STP/STEP

Was wondering that seeing the file size 5k.

The CMM scans though ugly.... MCAM can cut them nicely.

Tyler Robertson

Tyler Robertson

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 2,155 posts
Yeah - I would say like %60 of the programming I end up doing is from scans. Turbine industry doesn't like to give out CAD models so companies are always reversing. Amount of time I take rests solely in the hands of whoever is scanning it, so I try to make friends :)

Ron Branch @ 5th Axis

Ron Branch @ 5th Axis

Regular Guy

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 590 posts
Hum well take a look at some of this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hzumu6hHK6U

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sc10x5Hv1SE

Frog to Solid Video Download

Now Verisurf does give the ability to check back to the STL without even needing a surface or solid model. Mastercam .stl fiels are not good to make models from, but things might could be done. We keep adding tools and I have some old files I might try some of new tools on and see if they help.