Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

5 Axis Drilling

Carle387

I did a search on this but there was so much content to sift through I couldn't find just what I was needing help with.  My Machine is a 5 axis with a head (A axis) and table (B axis) as its rotational axis of motion.  I have a weldment with a plate that is tipped about the x axis by 3 deg. I am able to tip the head and face off the surface.  That's the easy part.  My problem is that I have 8 holes that I need to drill into it that are perpendicular to this surface.  Can I accomplish this with a 5 axis tool path?  I am using Mastercam 2020 and experimented with tool axis control but the posting doesn't look like it will do what I am looking for.  It looks like a typical G81 drill cycle with the A axis rotated 3 deg.  This looks like its going to push my drill through the part at an angle and not give me a hole perpendicular to my tilted plane.  Do I need to modify my tool to present this surface normal to the spindle?

Drilling Post.nc

2 hours ago, Carle387 said:

I did a search on this but there was so much content to sift through I couldn't find just what I was needing help with.  My Machine is a 5 axis with a head (A axis) and table (B axis) as its rotational axis of motion.  I have a weldment with a plate that is tipped about the x axis by 3 deg. I am able to tip the head and face off the surface.  That's the easy part.  My problem is that I have 8 holes that I need to drill into it that are perpendicular to this surface.  Can I accomplish this with a 5 axis tool path?  I am using Mastercam 2020 and experimented with tool axis control but the posting doesn't look like it will do what I am looking for.  It looks like a typical G81 drill cycle with the A axis rotated 3 deg.  This looks like its going to push my drill through the part at an angle and not give me a hole perpendicular to my tilted plane.  Do I need to modify my tool to present this surface normal to the spindle?

Drilling Post.nc

That looks correct to me since you're using DWO(Dynamic Work Offset). If you were not using DWO then you wouldn't get a standard drilling cycle it would be output long code, but with DWO your able to use the machine to it's full potential. The code should be output at the tilted work plane and not to the normal work plane. When you ran it on the machine above the part what happened?

• Thanks 1

I did post this and ran it in the MC and it did what I was looking for.  I was getting a drill motion with the z axis and the y axis moving together.  Guess I just didn't trust my programing.  This is a new environment for me and we do not have anyone with 5 axis programing experience to learn from.  I have to learn by trial and error.  Anyways, what in the code clues me in that it posted a 5 axis drill motion?  I assuming its in the I J K of the  g68.2 line?

G68.2 is called tilted tool plane

The I J and K define the plane and the drill cycle looks just like it would on a 3 axis VMC.

This also works for 2D contours on 3+2 planes.

You''ll get a G68.2 defining the plane and the cutting code looks no different than a 3 axis mill code.

The machine must have the tilted tool plane option and there are parameters that must be set up properly

for everything to function properly.

42 minutes ago, Carle387 said:

I did post this and ran it in the MC and it did what I was looking for.  I was getting a drill motion with the z axis and the y axis moving together.  Guess I just didn't trust my programing.  This is a new environment for me and we do not have anyone with 5 axis programing experience to learn from.  I have to learn by trial and error.  Anyways, what in the code clues me in that it posted a 5 axis drill motion?  I assuming its in the I J K of the  g68.2 line?

Don't trust the Mastercam backplot this is not kinematic aware for machine motion. For tool movement yes you can.  Machine sim is a better option just will need to make sure there is a machine close enough or have your dealer build one for your machine if you have a model. If you company purchased the post from a 3rd Party Post builder then I suggest having them tie the Machinesim to the post.