Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

PLEASE HELP!!!! CALLING ON ALL SOLID MASTER'S

racingjas

9 hours ago, racingjas said:

CAN SOMEONE PLEASE HELP ME MODELLING THIS DIE?

I AM STRUGGLING TO ADD  A 45 DEG DRAFT SURFACES TO .04 CUTTING EDGE 

AND AN 8.5 DEG DRAFT TO .200 EDGE

HOW CAN  I ACHIEVE THIS? WHAT AM I DOING WRONG?

LEVEL 21 FLAT VIEW GIVES YOU AN IDEA I HOPE OF WHAT I MEAN

THX IN ADVANCE FOR YOUR HELP 

help samosa wheel.mcam

Are thinking correctly in your approach? Are you rolling or unrolling the flat pattern? With Rolldies you have to take the unrolled shape into account how it will be once imprinted into the final shape. Is Level 21 the unrolled pattern? If not then you would not project it to the rolled pattern like your attempting. You would take the shape and roll it using transform/roll then the 5.7295 Radius or the 11.459 Diameter would be used to roll the shape. You would then work from that rolled shape. Your approach is correct with making surfaces and then thicken them, but you need to work with the rolled shape of the finished product not the flat product to get what your after. May have to surface model it all up to make your male Boolean removal solid then once you have made a watertight surface model to represent your shape then you can Boolean remove it from the solid. Take into account your rotation and number of additional cuts out in your unrolled pattern. When I did this with Pencil and Paper 30 years ago Circumference = 2 * π * r is one of your 1st thing to think about. Then remember you working in Radians so you need to take length and divide it by 360 to come up with the distance along your Diameter that equals one degree. Once you know the length of your flat pattern for each shape then you can see how to arrange the correct number and spacing needed for your final roll pattern shape. Most people have already done this, but there have been times over the years where people had an idea and they were wrong and I had to remodel their rolldie shapes for them to get it correct. If it is an odd number per rolldie then take the rounding error into account. Small numbers harder to see the rounding error, but on larger rolldie shapes easier to see the rounding error. Need to make sure the flat pattern starts and ends correctly. If you need to spread the error then make sure your taking that spread into account across the flat pattern considering start and finish overlap.  Sorry don't have whatever version of Mastercam your using and can only save as a 2020 version.

• Like 1
On 3/31/2020 at 7:28 AM, 5th Axis CGI said:

Are thinking correctly in your approach? Are you rolling or unrolling the flat pattern? With Rolldies you have to take the unrolled shape into account how it will be once imprinted into the final shape. Is Level 21 the unrolled pattern? If not then you would not project it to the rolled pattern like your attempting. You would take the shape and roll it using transform/roll then the 5.7295 Radius or the 11.459 Diameter would be used to roll the shape. You would then work from that rolled shape. Your approach is correct with making surfaces and then thicken them, but you need to work with the rolled shape of the finished product not the flat product to get what your after. May have to surface model it all up to make your male Boolean removal solid then once you have made a watertight surface model to represent your shape then you can Boolean remove it from the solid. Take into account your rotation and number of additional cuts out in your unrolled pattern. When I did this with Pencil and Paper 30 years ago Circumference = 2 * π * r is one of your 1st thing to think about. Then remember you working in Radians so you need to take length and divide it by 360 to come up with the distance along your Diameter that equals one degree. Once you know the length of your flat pattern for each shape then you can see how to arrange the correct number and spacing needed for your final roll pattern shape. Most people have already done this, but there have been times over the years where people had an idea and they were wrong and I had to remodel their rolldie shapes for them to get it correct. If it is an odd number per rolldie then take the rounding error into account. Small numbers harder to see the rounding error, but on larger rolldie shapes easier to see the rounding error. Need to make sure the flat pattern starts and ends correctly. If you need to spread the error then make sure your taking that spread into account across the flat pattern considering start and finish overlap.  Sorry don't have whatever version of Mastercam your using and can only save as a 2020 version.

Thanks so much for your advice! i did exactly that and it worked like a charm!

10 hours ago, racingjas said:

Thanks so much for your advice! i did exactly that and it worked like a charm!

Your welcome where no book or theory about how it works can teach you. Experience is one of the best teachers and glad to share my knowledge to help you overcome the problem and get it solved. Have a good day stay safe and just keeping doing your best. :thumbsup: