Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Home/Ref Points +Switching Planes

jwvt88

Hey guys, as I'm still learning daily, I do have a question.

We have a machine we occasionally program for. It is a Handtmann, specifically for machining aluminum extrusions. It has 10 automatic vises and a saw blade as well. It's kind of unique for me, coming from molds and dies. How I was taught for it, was that we have to do a LOT of point to point movements. We need to tell it exactly how to bring the saw blade in, and exactly how to avoid the vises, and we don't have productivity plus yet either, so often we need to have many probing points to hold chamfer depths to tolerance. However without formal training today I started playing with the Home/Ref points. I can see a huge benefit in using these for avoiding the vises on each side. However, when I go from front to back, I would still need to add in a point move for the Top plane to go to the other side. Is there any way to avoid this? 

Thanks!ex.thumb.jpg.3f163a5a119db858c20cefebd17bf1fd.jpg

In this situation without a sample file and being able to test some thing have to say you have to just experiment and see what yields the best results. For years I have asked for up to 10 sets of ref points per operation, but we have been stuck with one set. Might make a template file and have all of these common things defined in them and then just merge a new CAD file into the template. Make all the common things wireframe and separate by level. Need to move the start and end section then move those levels. Need to widen the cut or shorten it then adjust that wireframe. The other thing is remember you can import operation from other files into your current file. You found something you like then import it in. This is where levels and level management help reduce programming time and effort.

• Like 1

Ditto Ron, more Ref points please!!!

I use ref points all the time.  I also use contour as my "extra ref points."  I'll program a contour, turn off force tool change and use that to dodge clamps, sneak in an undercut and get out of an undercut.  I've use it in a 6 axis head/head A LOT.  I've also used curve to roll/tilt into position followed by a contour to get in position.

There's always a different way.  Some better, some not but you learn by experimenting.