Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Open pocket on a Diameter

Shoggoth_2150

I'm completely lost on how to accomplish what I'm trying to do. I will openly admit I have no idea what to do for this one. I want to rough and finish the area between the wings on this part, and have not been able to come anywhere close to getting it right. Nothing I've tried will work. I've tried with and without the rotary, and several different toolpaths. Could anyone point out what I need to do to make this work.

Ideally I'd like to do Dynamic milling up one side of a wing, starting from the wide open space on the left, then have it rotate through the middle to remove the bulk of the material, then finish up on the opposite wing. Then from there do whatever finishing I need to. I just have no idea how to get it to hog out the bulk of the material. Everything I've tried is garbage. Please help if you know how to go about this one.

I've attached the .mcam (2020) file. Thanks.329318889_Screenshot(10).thumb.png.4366777cce161ce4bd0b50f1257b6af0.png

WINGS.mcam

Do you have a multi-axis license? Also are you looking to rough this part with the A-axis rotating during the cut or are you doing it 3+1 and locking the axis? 

it looks like it could be roughed like you are setting it up with 3+1 and just Positioning the 4th axis or could be done with a simultaneous multi-axis path. Also what kind of cutting strategy are you looking for because if its a softer material flow 5 axis would be super easy to apply and we could zigzag, or if its a harder material we could Peel Mill with axis substitution to climb mill only. You have many options but luckily this part is an easy one to learn on, let me know your thoughts on those questions and i can provide some examples once i get a better idea of how you would like to cut it

Axis sub it then. Since you shared a file with some sweat equity in it here is one way to approach it. I would do like your doing then come back with this. MultiAxis rough will support 4 Axis operation and I have a toolpath done with that approach in the file also. I also filtered your toolpaths and increased the step over to 20%. That might be a little too aggressive, but where I would start at and how it handles it.

Hopefully it is helpful and point you in the right direction. 

5th Axis Wings Example 

14 minutes ago, JoshC said:

Do you have a multi-axis license? Also are you looking to rough this part with the A-axis rotating during the cut or are you doing it 3+1 and locking the axis? 

it looks like it could be roughed like you are setting it up with 3+1 and just Positioning the 4th axis or could be done with a simultaneous multi-axis path. Also what kind of cutting strategy are you looking for because if its a softer material flow 5 axis would be super easy to apply and we could zigzag, or if its a harder material we could Peel Mill with axis substitution to climb mill only. You have many options but luckily this part is an easy one to learn on, let me know your thoughts on those questions and i can provide some examples once i get a better idea of how you would like to cut it

Do have multi-axis. Sounds like what you say about peel milling is exactly what I want to do. It's alloy steel, somewhere between 4130 and 4145. Not too hard.

On 7/17/2020 at 2:41 PM, Shoggoth_2150 said:

Do have multi-axis. Sounds like what you say about peel milling is exactly what I want to do. It's alloy steel, somewhere between 4130 and 4145. Not too hard.

ok, here is an example file that shows axis subsitution on your file. 

sample part file - https://fastechincorporated-my.sharepoint.com/:u:/g/personal/support_fastechinc_net/ERaMd39pHRdCjdeVAFz-IhABs3NxwD8zKBxKj7OJB8yDXQ?e=KUgEyc

video https://fastechincorporated-my.sharepoint.com/:v:/g/personal/support_fastechinc_net/EcvfKeRag0FCgeG9FDiICVUBMRE8vJPy06Oh-ETuDKqAiA?e=CtD6Lv if the video quality is poor in the browser you can download the video from that same link and if you download the .mp4 video it will play high quality

EDIT: i just updated a new part file because i had that transform toolpath setup incorrectly, with axis subsitution we translate an axis subsitution path to get it to rotate like KB article 50169 shows. So please use this new link to the file since i have fixed the tranform toolpath

• Thanks 1
  • Like 5