Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Haas 2ax ST20 machine def ????

mold100

Just installed 2021 on a fresh puter, downloaded the TL2 ax lathe post  from the website. Everything went well except tried a simple face program ... it wants to start in center and go out. I cant seem to fix this and I changed to much I think. I AM NOT A LATHE GURU , just teaching ourselves as we go ... Any help on getting the post to be be able to post and go would be appreciated. New Lathe ST20 bolt on turret ... 

Thanks in advance appreciate it. 

think  went I went with wrong post off tech exchange hmmmm

16 hours ago, mold100 said:

Used the 4X post for ST machines ..... looks way better, in the tool parameters should I be using from machine, user defined or from tool and should I have a value in them ...

Thanks again .....

with that generic 4x haas post it doesnt make any bit of difference on how you set that home position, the home postition with that post is what i show below so i would just leave it on whatever it defaults to and wont make a difference. mostly thats just there to simulate approach and retract moves, so if will effect the movements in mastercam but not on the g-code output and from my testing i get the following home positions no matter what is used in that field with that particular post.

G00 G53 X0.
G53 Z0.

The TL post and machine def are a little screwy. Because the tool is in-front of you people want to have what is normally X+ to be X-. It's just screwy because then you have to flip all of your tools. It just becomes a mess. I programmed all my Haas Lathes with the same post ST 4x post and it just worked across all machines

1 hour ago, Rocketmachinist said:

The TL post and machine def are a little screwy. Because the tool is in-front of you people want to have what is normally X+ to be X-. It's just screwy because then you have to flip all of your tools. It just becomes a mess. I programmed all my Haas Lathes with the same post ST 4x post and it just worked across all machines

its not really screwy but you do need to know what side of the axis to program on, the TL post we program typically with tools set to Bottom turret and X- or D- side of the part. whereas the HAAS ST post we program on the upper side of the part like X+ or D+ side. but you can always invert the dia_mult field in the post to invert the axis output.

here is what it typically looks like in the post:
dia_mult     : 2     #Multiplier for output on X axis (Neg. switches sign of X) 

so for example, if your X's are inverted you just edit the post, search for dia_mult and just use the inverse number for that field, so if its set to 2 you change it to -2 and then your X-axis output will be inverted, some customers will program a Tool room lathe and a slant bed lathe in the same way where they program both on the upper and  others like to program their tool room lathes from lower turret and their slant bed lathes from upper turret, so its completely preference and that dia_mult is all you have to edit. 

9 minutes ago, JoshC said:

its not really screwy but you do need to know what side of the axis to program on, the TL post we program typically with tools set to Bottom turret and X- or D- side of the part. whereas the HAAS ST post we program on the upper side of the part like X+ or D+ side. but you can always invert the dia_mult field in the post to invert the axis output.

here is what it typically looks like in the post:
dia_mult     : 2     #Multiplier for output on X axis (Neg. switches sign of X) 

so for example, if your X's are inverted you just edit the post, search for dia_mult and just use the inverse number for that field, so if its set to 2 you change it to -2 and then your X-axis output will be inverted, some customers will program a Tool room lathe and a slant bed lathe in the same way where they program both on the upper and  others like to program their tool room lathes from lower turret and their slant bed lathes from upper turret, so its completely preference and that dia_mult is all you have to edit. 

If I was programming on the TLs all day every day. Then I would probably use the TL post exclusively. But since i jump around from TLs to SL's its just easier to program them all exactly the same.

• Like 2
11 minutes ago, Rocketmachinist said:

If I was programming on the TLs all day every day. Then I would probably use the TL post exclusively. But since i jump around from TLs to SL's its just easier to program them all exactly the same.

Yea that makes sense and sounds like a good way to handle it, that way you can program the same way and even use same tools and libraries, etc.