Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

unroll

ANESIMIN

Hi

in order to machine this kind of pieces , i thaught to unroll the geometry and machine it with 2d tool path , then roll toolpath .but when trying to unroll i dont get a good sketch .

why dont have the unrolled sketch into a rectangle, so i can machine it like poket.

please have a look at pictures , and thanks for help 

roll.GIF

12 minutes ago, Greg_J said:

Do you have Multiaxis? If so I would use the Curve 5 Axis tool path.

i have seen video using the unroll and the 2d machinning (using other software) for roughing specially,why not doing this with mastercam .if only i can unroll the geometry the right way in a rectangular shape which contain all geometrie.

thanks for your response

2 hours ago, ANESIMIN said:

Hi

in order to machine this kind of pieces , i thaught to unroll the geometry and machine it with 2d tool path , then roll toolpath .but when trying to unroll i dont get a good sketch .

why dont have the unrolled sketch into a rectangle, so i can machine it like poket.

please have a look at pictures , and thanks for help 

roll.GIF

That is unrolled correctly. You don't have a connecting shape to complete the rectangle. In the videos you have seen for other software they do a little behind the scene magic to close the shape you don't see. You have 2 Vertical lines and you can now draw to horizontal lines to close them and make a rectangle. I wouldn't do that mind you I would extend them to overlap each other that way when the toolpath wraps around the part I get a nice overlap verse a lip being left. that is the other thing they didn't show you in those videos is work they do to make sure that doesn't happen. The reference of using Multiaxis is not a dig on the software, but a process method to use the software to it's full potential. If your company didn't purchase the multiaxis then that is fine and you can use what you got, but to think there is an easy button like shown in some videos when in reality there is not I am sorry it is not that way. To make good toolpaths that really do a good job you sometimes have to do a little sweat equity. Then you get great toolpaths that does good work.

I have seen plenty of canned demos and the time I throw a real world part at most them and say okay 5 minutes just like you did in the canned demo every single time in every software they fail. You have a sample file you put some work into that you can share then someone will be glad to help, but I will not program your part for you other might be willing to. I offer programming services how I feed my family and would be glad to quote you programming that part. 

• Like 2
28 minutes ago, crazy^millman said:

That is unrolled correctly. You don't have a connecting shape to complete the rectangle. In the videos you have seen for other software they do a little behind the scene magic to close the shape you don't see. You have 2 Vertical lines and you can now draw to horizontal lines to close them and make a rectangle. I wouldn't do that mind you I would extend them to overlap each other that way when the toolpath wraps around the part I get a nice overlap verse a lip being left. that is the other thing they didn't show you in those videos is work they do to make sure that doesn't happen. The reference of using Multiaxis is not a dig on the software, but a process method to use the software to it's full potential. If your company didn't purchase the multiaxis then that is fine and you can use what you got, but to think there is an easy button like shown in some videos when in reality there is not I am sorry it is not that way. To make good toolpaths that really do a good job you sometimes have to do a little sweat equity. Then you get great toolpaths that does good work.

I have seen plenty of canned demos and the time I throw a real world part at most them and say okay 5 minutes just like you did in the canned demo every single time in every software they fail. You have a sample file you put some work into that you can share then someone will be glad to help, but I will not program your part for you other might be willing to. I offer programming services how I feed my family and would be glad to quote you programming that part. 

thanks for responding,

what i cant understand is how yhe unroll function work .in solidworks i make a surface and a little gap and use the sheet metal to fold unfold gometrie.

in mastercam , this example i cant understand why the geometrie is not included in  a rectangle (think about a piece of sheet and roll it above a cylinder).

sorry but i feel very confused

1 minute ago, ANESIMIN said:

in mastercam , this example i cant understand why the geometrie is not included in  a rectangle (think about a piece of sheet and roll it above a cylinder).

If you geometry is already rolled you don't need to unroll it first to use Axis substitution. 

Attaching a Mastercam file is the best way to get help.

• Like 1
34 minutes ago, #Rekd™ said:

If you geometry is already rolled you don't need to unroll it first to use Axis substitution. 

Attaching a Mastercam file is the best way to get help.

unroll geometrie to machine with 2d toolpath.

sorry for not being able to attach the file.

10 minutes ago, ANESIMIN said:

unroll geometrie to machine with 2d toolpath.

sorry for not being able to attach the file.

Create a similar part with features like that and post that file.

Yes I am talking about 2d toolpaths using axis substitution, no need to unroll the geometry first.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, ANESIMIN said:

thanks for responding,

what i cant understand is how yhe unroll function work .in solidworks i make a surface and a little gap and use the sheet metal to fold unfold gometrie.

Problem is that is not a sheet of paper being unrolled it is 2 edge being unrolled. You split the solid a in half and unroll each half and you would get what your asking for, but since that is a solid shape MasterCAM being just that a CAM Software and not a CAD software is working along those lines. What does a Machinist need to machine a part, not reverse engineer a bunch of hacks to make a toolpath with. Great thing like John is saying is you can use that solid like it is to make the toolpaths you are after without unrolling anything. Sounds like you need some training you can go to the Mastercam website as a register user and get free training from the website. Even if your company is not current with Maintenance you can still register and get the free training. Doing so also gets you the HLE version of Mastercam to use for the training.

• Thanks 1