Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

How to control helix direction 2020 3D Optirough

mmkgreen2005

1 hour ago, mwearne said:

Under 50% radius for the helix the selected cut direction controls the helix direction. Seems once you go over 50% , the direction changes. I guess since you're in a full slot condition the direction isn't really important? Still, not sure why it would flip though. 

Another trick is to use Profile and it will also keep the cut in a Climb direction also. I prefer that over Helix to allow better chip evacuation when running tools that may get over 50% DOC on pockets. When getting upwards of 200% on the DOC over cutting chips is also a tool life killer.

I also have been drilling start holes in deep pockets and then adding them to my stock models to have a toolpath start in them to eliminate the need for Ramp or Profile in deep pockets. Mastercam ill normally not give me the entry I want so I will go a step further and do a Helix Bore of the tool to take out any angle to uneven material to them start doing the Opti-Rough Toolpaths on deep pockets in hard materials. Soft Materials also benefit from the process, but normally people don't care to see a start hole.

• Like 1