Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

HELP 2D TOOLPATHING FROM A 3D FILE

jonathan joseph

Hi all,

Sorry for what is likely a novice question. 

I've got a file that was created in 3D Autocad and sent to me supposedly as a 2D dxf. When I open it and look at the different views its definitely a three dimensional shape. When I try to select the outside contour to tool path it will only highlight the entire part, not just the line of the contour. Is this something I can work with? I'm using X8 router and only need to cut a 2D pattern of the contour of the part. 

Attached is the file if that helps anyone. 

Thanks in advance. 

Jonathan 

CORBELS.dwg

9 minutes ago, jonathan joseph said:

Not sure how to do that? Curve under Create? I tried that but didn't get far. 

If you are having trouble locating commands, try the command finder on the HOME tab. (x8 no such thing)

Curve all edges is on the wireframe tab. 

To cut the outer inner profile of the part you should use the silhouette boundary function,

mENU -> CREATE ->  CURVE -> CURVE ON ALL EDGES

MENU -> CREATE -> SILHOUETTE BOUNDARY

15 minutes ago, Thee Byte™ said:

If you are having trouble locating commands, try the command finder on the HOME tab. (x8 no such thing)

Curve all edges is on the wireframe tab. 

To cut the outer inner profile of the part you should use the silhouette boundary function,

mENU -> CREATE ->  CURVE -> CURVE ON ALL EDGES

MENU -> CREATE -> SILHOUETTE BOUNDARY

Awesome! Thanks that worked!. All good now. Really happy to know how to deal with this as it has happened to me a few times and its embarrassing to have to send the drawing back and tell them I can't work with it. 

Thanks again. This site is great.  

So I was able to select the lines and toolpath after using the silhouette boundary function but when I went to run the program I got a z axis software over travel error. Went and looked at the file and saw that it was calling for the z to be up at like 13"-15". My machines don't have that much z and the part is only .090 thick. 

I think although I was able to toolpath the contour, I'm not getting those lines in the correct z height for some reason I assume still due to the fact that the drawing is a solid model? 

38 minutes ago, jonathan joseph said:

So I was able to select the lines and toolpath after using the silhouette boundary function but when I went to run the program I got a z axis software over travel error. Went and looked at the file and saw that it was calling for the z to be up at like 13"-15". My machines don't have that much z and the part is only .090 thick. 

I think although I was able to toolpath the contour, I'm not getting those lines in the correct z height for some reason I assume still due to the fact that the drawing is a solid model? 

Can you share a file or screenshot of the linking parameters/depths?

If your toolpath is in incremental mode the zheight will be taken from the geometry position,if absolute then it is taken from z0

Did you move your part to system origin in Mastercam or is it up in the air somewhere? If you are at system origin you should be able to get your depth from clicking on the geometry. If it's not at origin Mastercam will give a depth or height of wherever part is sitting.