Sign in to follow this  
ratwizard

Stock flip in Mill-Turn

Is there a way to do something like a lathe stock flip in Mill-Turn? It doesn't show up in the mill-turn section and if I try the lathe version I get a "machine does not support this operation type" error.

Does your machine have a sub spindle?  

The machine I loaded had a sub spindle and that option was not available.  In that case I would create two separate .MCAM files.  Or you could try loading a second machine group into a single Mastercam file.  That might get messy with the way things are handled with Mill-Turn though.  

• Like 1

Lathe stock flip in MT is not directly supported, unfortunately. The easiest way of going about this is to save the stock after the first side work is done, saving the resultant stock geometry to a level, and using that and a copy of the part geometry to drive a 2nd machine group that does the flipped side. 

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Chris In-House Solutions said:

Does your machine have a sub spindle?  

The machine I loaded had a sub spindle and that option was not available.  In that case I would create two separate .MCAM files.  Or you could try loading a second machine group into a single Mastercam file.  That might get messy with the way things are handled with Mill-Turn though.  

No sub spindle. I was hoping stock flip was an option we didn't have set up.

16 hours ago, Chally72 said:

Lathe stock flip in MT is not directly supported, unfortunately. The easiest way of going about this is to save the stock after the first side work is done, saving the resultant stock geometry to a level, and using that and a copy of the part geometry to drive a 2nd machine group that does the flipped side. 

This is what I ended up doing. I couldn't load a second mill-turn machine group so I had to make a new file for side 2. Not the end of the world, just slightly less organized than I'd like it.

Thanks guys!