Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

2D ROUTING HELP FROM SOLID MODEL-AGAIN

jonathan joseph

Hi all

I've gotten some help with this before but my problem is back. I'm trying to work with a solid model but only have Mastercam router x8. Trying to just do a 2d contour but having trouble being able to select just the contour lines. I was able to fix this by using the "silhouette boundaries" function but I still have some geometry, circles mostly that I can't select. See attached file. Outside of the parts is fine but some, not all of the holes won't let me work with them.

Any help appreciated. 

Jonathan 

AUGFORUMSAMPLE.mcx-8

On a new level, use Create - Curve - On One Edge. Then select the edges of the holes you want to apply the "Curve" on. 

There are corrupt entities inside your file (warning message when I opened it).

Some of the Solids are sitting above Z zero and some are sitting at Z zero. 

16 minutes ago, #Rekd™ said:

On a new level, use Create - Curve - On One Edge. Then select the edges of the holes you want to apply the "Curve" on. 

There are corrupt entities inside your file (warning message when I opened it).

Some of the Solids are sitting above Z zero and some are sitting at Z zero. 

Thanks! SO the things sitting above zero are going to be a problem too I suspect because they're not at origin. How do I resolve that? 

3 minutes ago, jonathan joseph said:

Thanks! SO the things sitting above zero are going to be a problem too I suspect because they're not at origin. How do I resolve that? 

Transform Project to Zero. I would be very careful to not create overlapping entities. Best way is to create anything using silhouette boundary on a new level.

17 minutes ago, jonathan joseph said:

Also, I don't know how to "select a surface" or new level as you say? I don't do anything 3d so this is new to me. 

You work in 3D all the time the problem is you're limiting your thinking process to only 2D. When I train new programmers I always tell them they have been programming for a long time. They all look at me like I am crazy or something. I tell them without realizing it they make CNC Programs all day everyday in every action they take or make. Go to open the fridge and get some milk out of the fridge. That is a a program your brain tells your body to preform without you even thinking about it in 3D space not 2D. Get in a car and drive somewhere you are driving in 3D space not 2D space. Everything we do is 3D and don't limit your thinking to what you think you cannot do to what you are already doing. In Mastercam working in 3D is no different. Stop and think the process through and really understand that even though you make only see a 2D wireframe that will have to cut at different depths. Those depths are not only ever going to be at Z Zero they will can be above or below Zero and that is 3D space not 2D.

• Like 2
45 minutes ago, #Rekd™ said:

I don't have X8 loaded but I created a video using X9. Watch this video for some ideas, there are many ways of doing things.

Getting some training would be a huge help to you and your company.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/sz5hc6fja9br6gj/Help.mp4?dl=0

I really appreciate the help. Training would be great but honestly I'm self taught and have been running a company doing production routing with five cnc routers for seven years. Rarely and I mean rarely have I ever needed more than I've learned already. There have been a few humps to get over but I make parts as fast or faster and efficiently as any of my competition. It's kind of like languages. I'm fluent enough to get done what I need. Every couple of months I get a curveball like this, and usually the forum helps me solve it. 

• Like 1
40 minutes ago, crazy^millman said:

You work in 3D all the time the problem is you're limiting your thinking process to only 2D. When I train new programmers I always tell them they have been programming for a long time. They all look at me like I am crazy or something. I tell them without realizing it they make CNC Programs all day everyday in every action they take or make. Go to open the fridge and get some milk out of the fridge. That is a a program your brain tells your body to preform without you even thinking about it in 3D space not 2D. Get in a car and drive somewhere you are driving in 3D space not 2D space. Everything we do is 3D and don't limit your thinking to what you think you cannot do to what you are already doing. In Mastercam working in 3D is no different. Stop and think the process through and really understand that even though you make only see a 2D wireframe that will have to cut at different depths. Those depths are not only ever going to be at Z Zero they will can be above or below Zero and that is 3D space not 2D.

Yes of course. I appreciate the comment. I definitely think in 3d, just outside of normal depth of cut issues I don't really know how to do much. I do some pretty tricky 2d stuff that requires a lot of thinking, not just simple 2d shapes. Lots of specialty bit profiles and multiple depth cuts to create unusual edge profiles etc. Lots of thick material with all kinds of different pockets and depths. 

8 minutes ago, jonathan joseph said:

I really appreciate the help. Training would be great but honestly I'm self taught and have been running a company doing production routing with five cnc routers for seven years. Rarely and I mean rarely have I ever needed more than I've learned already. There have been a few humps to get over but I make parts as fast or faster and efficiently as any of my competition. It's kind of like languages. I'm fluent enough to get done what I need. Every couple of months I get a curveball like this, and usually the forum helps me solve it. 

There are free courses at Mastercam University, likely though in a newer version. The Sitewide subscription here is also a great choice, you can go at your own pace.

Nothing wrong with being self taught, gaining knowledge/ skills any way shape or form is a good thing!

• Like 1
54 minutes ago, jonathan joseph said:

Same Boat self taught as well. Good for you and if allow you to earn a living then keep doing what you are doing. Thank you for sharing that.

2 hours ago, #Rekd™ said:

There are free courses at Mastercam University, likely though in a newer version. The Sitewide subscription here is also a great choice, you can go at your own pace.

Nothing wrong with being self taught, gaining knowledge/ skills any way shape or form is a good thing!

Thanks again! I definitely would like to take some classes, and learn what I don't know I need to learn. Just hard making the time while doing the work, trying to manage and grow a business and having a family....not enough hours in the day!

• Like 1
1 minute ago, jonathan joseph said:

Thanks again! I definitely would like to take some classes, and learn what I don't know I need to learn. Just hard making the time while doing the work, trying to manage and grow a business and having a family....not enough hours in the day!

Totally understand!

I am happy to help if I am able to solve your problems.

• Like 1