Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Mcam 22 Machine Configuration settings...what am I missing?

Dontech

Good morning, everyone.

We finally got 22 here and I'm having trouble figuring out how to set up my machine configurations. Basically, I think that what it amounts to is I don't understand what it's requiring of me.

I could be wrong...entirely possible, that...but it seems that 22 will not use .MMD & .Control files from 18, is that correct? At least, I couldn't get mine to work even after copying my 18 files into my 22 directory. So now I'm going through the tedious process of rebuilding all my Machine & Control Defs. I've created new ones successfully for X-MR2, X6, and 18, but my machine configuration settings in the Machine Def Mgr were already set up for me ahead of time so I've never had to go this deep under the hood before. I found "How To Build a Basic Machine Def" in the Help section which has been a decent help but it falls short in the finer details, thus the reason I'm posting this thread.

Following the steps in the Help, I'm at the point where I have to apply machine components to the Machine Config which seemed to go smoothly until I try to save. When I try it gives me the pop-up below. I've added the axis components just like the Help told me to, but while I did right-click on each component in turn I admittedly have not messed around with much inside the components. Is that the reason for the Warning pop-up or am i doing something else wrong?

Screenshot (9).png

4 minutes ago, Dontech said:

Good morning, everyone.

We finally got 22 here and I'm having trouble figuring out how to set up my machine configurations. Basically, I think that what it amounts to is I don't understand what it's requiring of me.

I could be wrong...entirely possible, that...but it seems that 22 will not use .MMD & .Control files from 18, is that correct? At least, I couldn't get mine to work even after copying my 18 files into my 22 directory. So now I'm going through the tedious process of rebuilding all my Machine & Control Defs. I've created new ones successfully for X-MR2, X6, and 18, but my machine configuration settings in the Machine Def Mgr were already set up for me ahead of time so I've never had to go this deep under the hood before. I found "How To Build a Basic Machine Def" in the Help section which has been a decent help but it falls short in the finer details, thus the reason I'm posting this thread.

Following the steps in the Help, I'm at the point where I have to apply machine components to the Machine Config which seemed to go smoothly until I try to save. When I try it gives me the pop-up below. I've added the axis components just like the Help told me to, but while I did right-click on each component in turn I admittedly have not messed around with much inside the components. Is that the reason for the Warning pop-up or am i doing something else wrong?

Screenshot (9).png

Install 2020 or 2021 update the MMD/MCD and then bring them into 2022 and call it a day and option.

I don't see a table group defined. Open up the MMD in 2018 and have both side by side to rebuild the new in 2022 is how I normally go about this process.

We don't have 20 or 21; we went right from 18 to 22, so that option isn't available. As for the Table Group, I thought all I had to do was add the X & Y axis components to the Table Group? Maybe I totally misunderstood what the Help file was saying but it seemed like that was all I had to do.

1 minute ago, Dontech said:

We don't have 20 or 21; we went right from 18 to 22, so that option isn't available. As for the Table Group, I thought all I had to do was add the X & Y axis components to the Table Group? Maybe I totally misunderstood what the Help file was saying but it seemed like that was all I had to do.

May not have them, but if you got 2022 then 2020 and 2021 can be downloaded and installed. I could be wrong, but I think you need a table group now for the MMD. Open up a Generic Mill and just save us to the machine you trying to build. You can go to the Tech exchange on the Mastercam Website they have machine for download there.

6 minutes ago, Dontech said:

When I click on that, this is what comes up. Please note that I didn't mess with this at all that I'm aware of...do those components come from the components I add to the Machine Configuration?

That looks ok, but I always right-click & create a new combo, then rename it and delete the default.

In 2020 we started adding checks to make sure your machine definition build was a valid one. Before that, it was a bit of a wild west and you could build and set combinations that weren't technically complete or possible. Since more and more elements in things like posts are relying on Machine Definition data being correct, it was important to start flagging MD's that were set up incorrectly. 

To confirm, this likely isn't a migration issue and going directly from 18 to 22 should not affect the outcome here. As thoughts right off the bat based on your picture, I see no table/spindle Components listed in your Axis Combination. to the right of the Axes.

• Like 2
  • 3 weeks later...

Once again, I must apologize for the late response but I thank you all for your input. Bringing the missing Table and Spindle groups to my attention was very helpful, so much appreciated. 👍👍

I put this project on the back-burner while waiting for a custom router post file so I'm only just now revisiting this thread...and yes, with another question about the Machine Configuration window in the Machine Def Mgr. Now everything looks good except for one item ...

[ Machine Configuration Window ]

Machine Base ✅ Table Group ✅ Y axis ✅ X axis ✅ Machine Table ✅. (looks good)

Mill Spindle Group ✅ Z axis ✅ Tool Spindle ✅. (looks good)

The Tool Changer group, though ... looks like this: 

Tool Changer Group ✅ ❓ Automatic Tool Changer. ✅

1.) Why is that ❓there? Is it something to be concerned about (I'm assuming it is?)

2.) The Automatic Tool Changer icon shows a typical swing-arm magazine, but the Haas VF5 That this Machine Def belongs to is only a umbrella mag without the swing-arm.

I thought that maybe I did something to make the Machine-Config think my Haas has a swing-arm so I went through the Components window looking for a different magazine option but there isn't one. Does this mean that it's just a generic magazine symbol and so it doesn't matter to the Machine-Config what kind of magazine I have, or should I be looking elsewhere to correct this? Not sure what questions I rally should be asking so I'm just throwing them all out there. Thanks for your patience, everyone.

Chally is correct in saying that in recent years we have become more strict in what is allowed in machine definitions.  There are a few limited cases where invalid machine definitions will have components stripped in migration (luckily it is extremely rare).  We can help correct them if you send them in. 

The ATC icon is just a general icon, it is not specific to type.  The question mark and lack of check box indicate that those components are not select-able for an axis combination.

Axis combinations must include the linear and rotary axis being driven and must terminate in a tool holding component (tool spindle/turret) and a work holding component (table/fixture/chuck).  If this is a 5-axis machine axis combination, they should contain two rotary axis in addition to three linear axis.

In a simple form, I would expect the axis combination for a trunnion style machine to look something like this:
image.png.054509e524144993a89d592f12d8f549.png

I notice that the machine originated from Postability, I am sure they can send you a proper machine definition for use in Mastercam 2022 if you contact them.

• Like 2