Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Lathe 3d tool

Resunonac

Hi

I am having some problems with a 3d tool for internal grooving.  It is made from stp files supplied by the manufactor.

When I create a lathe groove finish toolpath with the new 3D tool, the tool cuts differently than using a regular 2d created tool.

The first image shows the 2d tool, on the second pass lead in. It begins cutting only with the right corner.

The second image is the 3d tool. On the second pass it moves to a full width contact, before moving to the chain geometry selected for the operation.

The geometry used for the two finish groove operations are only the groove and the chamfers. And the parameters are identical.

It must be a mistake i have made when creating the 3d tool, but i havent been able to figure it out yet.

Hope you can help.

628675940_2dtool.thumb.png.9d7475737b98fa7d9bf665f238aeb622.png

1915613587_3dtool.thumb.png.22903d062361b0cb65c7b7a9b8f6b197.png

I'm not sure if this will work the same for a 3D tool but if you go to edit tool and then select draw tool make sure that both edges display the available cutting edge definition  (the red circles on front and back edge of tool) .

It could be an issue where it only recognizes the front edge so it will drive the path off of that and just compensate for the width of the tool. 

edit.png

2 minutes ago, Resunonac said:

Hi Jespertech

Everything works fine with a normal 2d tool.
the problem is only with the 3d tool. I tried to play with start/end of contour. But without any luck

any chance you can post the file? I would just need the 3D tool and groove profile to mess around and see if there's a way around it. 

Hi Jespertech

I think, maybe, i found the setting which created the problem.

In the 3d tool creator/ compensation tab, I switched the plunge/cut direction and then i worked perfect - like the other 2d tool.

Maybe I am misunderstanding plunge/cut directions, but now I know where to look, if the problem comes back again.

Thanks for trying to help me out here 🙂

• Like 1
6 minutes ago, Resunonac said:

Hi Jespertech

I think, maybe, i found the setting which created the problem.

In the 3d tool creator/ compensation tab, I switched the plunge/cut direction and then i worked perfect - like the other 2d tool.

Maybe I am misunderstanding plunge/cut directions, but now I know where to look, if the problem comes back again.

Thanks for trying to help me out here 🙂

I was in the middle of typing this exact issue out when I noticed you had already solved it lol

for some reason it had the plunge direction and the cutting direction flip flopped, definitely good  to know going forward to check that out for any 3d tools.  

looks like we both learned something new today 😄👍

• Haha 1