Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Pocket projection issues

I. Anderson

Hello everyone,

I am having a heck of a time projecting a pocket onto a simple radiused surface.

I am unable to get square corners and also unable to get my depth of cut set properly. I have tried everything I can think of and can not seem to get the depth right.

I uploaeded the file. it is called : PROJECTPKT.MC9

I also included the STL file for verification. Itis called : PROJECTPKTSTL

confused.gif

Thanks in advance!

I.Anderson !

I am having a heck of a time projecting a pocket onto a simple radiused surface.

I am unable to get square corners and also unable to get my depth of cut set properly. I

have tried everything I can think of and can not seem to get the depth right.

____________-

1. Now the depth of cut OK ?~?

2 .In 3d there are no simple things .

You are projecting a pocket milled with end mill flat on cylinder ,so what do you expect ?!?

Mastercam makes maximum .it can not undercut it .!

Change your end mill to ball and see how your radius will become better milled !

3.Ideal radius you`ll get only on 4 axes milling or with a ball small enough .

HTH

WTHH

Winnie,

The bottom of the pocket finish is not a concern. I am just trying to get a pocket on a radiused surface that has a radiused bottom. I thought I would try it as projecting a pocket onto a surface instead of projecting a toolpath onto a cylinder.

The depth is fine, I think what I will do is a contour toolpath on the geometry to get the perimiter of the pocket and the use finish project to rough it out.

Thanks so much for the help and responce!

-Ian-

Why not create the surfaces and then do a surface rough pocket and then do a flowline for finishing the walls and using the bottom surface as a check surface then do the bottom as a parrelle and usign the walls as check surfaces? I have seen the pic and thinking that might give you the results you want if you feel comfortable doing it that way.