Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

revolved surface with bad normal

pro

When I create revolved surface, mastercam say that surface have bad normal. For check normal I use Analyse/surfaces/test-norm/All/Surfaces/Done.

Probably problem is in generating curve of this surface, how can i get more complex error description?

Dynamic analyze not enough.

Pro!

A quote from help :

quote:

This function checks selected surfaces and reverses the normal direction on any surface whose outward, or positive, normal direction points downward relative to the current Cplane.

1. Choose Main Menu, Modify, Normal, Set.

2. Select one or more surfaces, then choose Done. In the prompt area, Mastercam reports the number of reversals.

3. Press [Esc] to exit the function.

quote:

A surface normal is a vector (direction) that is perpendicular to the tangent plane of a surface at the point of tangency. Each surface has two normal vectors, which point in opposite directions. One is referred to as the positive (front, outward) direction; the other is referred to as the negative (back, inward) direction. When a surface is created, the default positive normal direction is based on the relative directions of the curves defining the surface.

In the following graphics, the arrow shows the normal vector directions of a surface at the position of the base of the arrow.

Notes:

¨ Like surfaces, solid faces have two normal vectors. The positive normal direction always points outward, or away from the solid volume.

¨ Curves have one normal vector that is perpendicular to the tangent line of the curve at the point of tangency.

quote:

There are several ways to identify the positive normal direction of a surface:

¨ The Show Back function, when active, applies a defined color to the back (negative) side of the wireframe display of a surface, which distinguishes it from the front (positive) side. For information about the Show Back function, see Showing and setting the back color for surface displays.

¨ You can verify the positive normal direction at any position on a surface. For more information, see Checking and optionally reversing the surface normal direction and Analyzing a curve, surface, or solid face at any position.

¨ A check normals option is built into functions where the normal direction affects the resulting geometry so that you can check the normal direction without leaving the function. For more information, see Checking surface normals.

Note: For solids, the positive normal direction always points away from the solid volume, and the negative normal direction points into the solid volume.

Actually change normals you can do through

Alnalize ->sutfaces->set normals .

If your curves are not one spline and this contour is self-overcrossing you can have this problem.

You better convert your geo to one spline

And if your geometry is mirorred .

And beware you can scrap your part in actual milling

HTH

ETHH

Eeyore,

The problem is not in reverse normal direction.

The Test Normals function analyzes the normal vector of selected surfaces and reports the number of bad surfaces whose normal vector reverses direction abruptly in one or more locations.

Your are right about converting this surface to NURBS, NURBS surface have good normal.

But I want get more complex information about reason of this error in revolved surface.

Pro.

You may have nonconsistant countour (nonclosed ,overcrossing ,overlapping and so on )

Say you select it using rough countour tolerance

When you dont have constant tangency you `ll have reverced normals .

I do not want to enter deeper ,I may be wrong too ,anyway it is just a guess ,throw your file on ftp to have a look ,if possible .

In two words -go with spline as a tool contour and you`ll never have such a problem .

HTH

ETHH

Well I just recreated your surface using new 3 point circles for the 4 sides in 3d then trimmed everything together and swept your surface at it was perfect. I did not see any construction chains as to where your surface was created but did put curves on the edges and only 3 came out as arcs and 1 was a spilne. When I used acrs for all 4 sides it did not give me a problem. What c-plane are you in when try to do what ever you are trying to do with this surface?

HI ,folks !

I succesfully recreated and solved a problem .

Teh problem recreated producing spline from two arcs ,one of them overlaps another ,IOW contour changes it`s direction to the opposite .

Trimmed revolved surface comes completly the same - check surface -no problems ,test normals -1 bad surface found

When geometry clean - 1 arc ,15 arcs or one spline ,only direction of the contour not changed to the opposite I had not managed to get the problem .Still had not checked noncontineous and nonconstant tangency contour .

It is so easy thing to get that I think no need to trash the FTP .

If youu still think you want the file I can put it later .

Regards ,

ETHH

Thanks for all,

This surfaces was translated from another cad system. I try to find way to check surface like that and repair it.

Eeyore,

Sorry, my English is not quite good.

As I can see generating curve does not have self intersection, but revolved surface probably have overlap. What wrong with generating curve?

Maybe I need change direction of generating curve or axis of revolution.

What is "IOW"?

Pro

Pro !.

Sorry, my English is not quite good.

________

Mine is not good too ,never mind .

Net problem ,my mojem pereity na russkiy yazyk,esli hochesh smile.gif

We can talk in Russian ,but this will offend others ,this is English language board .

But if you can not express something ,write in Russian ,you are welcome !

IOW stands for in other words .

Overlapping entities are bad ,especially when you making splines ,if spline will change direction to the opposite ,you will get your problem .

Simple thing :

build arc ,copy it one time and trim one of them in the middle ,you `ve got overlapping geometry.

Now make from them 1 spline selecting both arcs and make revolved surface and you will get the same problem .

Regards ,

WTHH

Udachi i horoshego nastroyeniya !

It is hard to tell now ,when you have spline.

But it looks like when you look on the surface without shading it`s U and V curves change colors in the corner (it means surface change normals ad the meaning of up and down ) .

I can build it and without oferlapping entities too (without tangency )

It is mainly philosophical question ,when you get such message ,recreate your surface ,otherwice you can scrap a part ,especially in the toolpathes where up and down have meaning (like flowline ).

I make molds ,get models from various cad/cam and also build myself .

My geo is always clean.

When imported surfaces or solid have critical errors I prefer to correct them .

I like to dig deep into the matter of things but at my work I prefer safe ,effective and simple things and I hate risk .

Ps .I succesfully created now bad revolved surface with overcrossing contour and nontangent .

Who needs to dig deeper ?

This thing is dangerous and you have tools to find it .

Regards