Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

O/T Plans..

RStuart

I got some for a Steam engine years ago of fthe web do a search for that and see what luck you get. I also made a clutch slip cam system chain driven hand crank nut cracker to crack walnut and pecan shells when I was in highschool if you would like some picutres of that. Yeah I know every one lese made the simple one I had to go do the crazy off the wall thing.

There used to be a magazine called "Strictly internal combustion". The owner/publisher is on in years and stopped publishing a few years ago, but sells back issues. If there is interest, I can look up the address.

Many types of engines, including a V8. There are often small engines (steam, air, combustion, etc) in "home shop machinist" and "machinists workshop", both put out by village press (do a google). There are also a number of plans for simple engines out there on the web, both free and pay.

John

The books "the Shop Wisdom of Philip Duclos" and "Two Shop Masters" available from Village Press have about 10 fully serialized, ready to build IC engines between the two books. You will probably have to get them from Ebay or Amazon - they don't appear to be in print any more.

Personally, I am working on 5 copies of the Lee Hodgson 9-cylinder Bentley BR2 Rotary engine. http://www.agelessengines.com/

Well to be honest I think it would be cool to make a motor but when you start scaling motors you do not start getting workable soultions. The compression and other thing go to wack and all other types of varaibles come into play. I think to make a mock up is very doable to make a complete working useable V8 motor woudl require more skills than I got but appericate the vote of cofidence. cheers.gif

Gary that looks like a cool project. Do you have a model airplane ot put it on or just a do it to do it project.

I have built a few Volkswagen Type 1 motors (BUG)in my time anywhere from the 1200cc to the 1996cc boring the block out and port and polishing the heads as well as blalancing all the internal parts. We did away with the fuel pump and oil pump that were mechinal in favor of Electric that did not rob horsepower. Cool building an engine untill you forget a main bearing and have your crank shaft break apart drving down the road or you have a brother that trows nuts and bolts in the engine because he hates the fact you have a car and he is too sorry to get a job and have his own. curse.gifcurse.gif

don't want to go too small.Gets more difficult the smaller you go. The link I posted above is probably what I am going to go with. May scale it x2 what it already is. Not something I expect to get done in a few weeks. But just something I would like to tinker with.

Try the "THE HOME SHOP MACHINIST" magazine or "MACHINIST'S WORKSHOP" magazine.

Right now one of them is running a series about building a radial aircraft engine.

These are both really excellent magazines that shows off some of the talent that is out there in garages and home shops all over America. They are also great learning tools for the beginning machinist.

The web page is WWW.villagepress.com/workshop/ & WWW.villagepress.com/homeshop/

I saw the motor by Jerry Howell (He lives here in Colorado Springs) - it starts easy and runs very nicely. It was a real draw at the trade show here in the Springs. You can't go far wrong by starting with a proven design before branching out on your own.

I even have plans for a DeHaviland, a Pratt and Whitney, a Offenhauser six, and several others. They will have to wait until I finish the run of BR2's.

http://www.osengines.com/engines/osmg1320.html

Always wanted to "fab" out a mini sand rail with this Cesna replica flat four engine. With a stinger pipe and frame bent and welded made out of tubing I thought it would be a really fun project. And the antennae whip wouldn't even look out of place. Although the airplane engines aren't designed for the same power output and infinite throttle settings like the buggy engines are -it could still probably be done.

With dual mini Delortos... cool.gif