Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Macro, Haas, Tool's in Magazine

My question is, can we pull, or read, what tools are in a Haas machine with a NGC? 

I've tried searching variables, pulling variables and asking around with no luck. I've pretty much just got off the cuff, "I don't think so..." answers and I'm pretty much certain that's what the answer is.  However, I am hoping to find a way. 

Our company doesn't believe in purchasing large mag's on machines and don't seem to mind switching out tooling (we change up to 20 tools) - they think their saving money. 🤯🙄  We run lights out a lot and occasionally miss changing out a tool and we lose an night run.  I want to add a macro in the beginning of the post to verify the tools needed are in the machine before the operator leaves to run over night.

2 hours ago, tpreb6 said:

My question is, can we pull, or read, what tools are in a Haas machine with a NGC? 

I've tried searching variables, pulling variables and asking around with no luck. I've pretty much just got off the cuff, "I don't think so..." answers and I'm pretty much certain that's what the answer is.  However, I am hoping to find a way. 

Our company doesn't believe in purchasing large mag's on machines and don't seem to mind switching out tooling (we change up to 20 tools) - they think their saving money. 🤯🙄  We run lights out a lot and occasionally miss changing out a tool and we lose an night run.  I want to add a macro in the beginning of the post to verify the tools needed are in the machine before the operator leaves to run over night.

This is a slippery slope type of question. There is nothing to guarantee that just because a Tool Length Offset, or other Tool Data is set in the control, that the actual tool has been loaded into the tool magazine. There are no sensors to verify if a tool is present in a pot, and the Side Mount Tool Changes are random pot assignment anyway.

It is possible to add G10 Lines to automatically load tool data, so if you are presetting your tools, or if the tools are already setup/mounted (and remain setup) in Tooling Carts, you could programmatically set the offsets. Or, you could add logic to set Tool Data for each tool, and then run "Tool Touch-Off Macros" to measure the tools using the WIPS Tool Probe. 

• Like 1

Colin,

Thanks for the rely!

I understand the slippery slope but the only problem we run into, not often, is a tool missed being put into the machine.   We have @170ish tools already preset with the offset values (and monitoring tool life) in the controller so no further pickup needed unless a tool is at its life and needs to be replaced.  By going into the tool list on the machine it shows the tools that are currently "in the machine".  These values are in the controller somewhere and I would just like to read them.

If were cutting steel and then have to run alum there can be quite a few tools to swap out.  I would like to do a comparison of the tools, at cycle start, needed in the program to the tool listed in the controller before the operator walks away for the night.  I know, should be check by the operator, which is...but...human factor.

18 hours ago, tpreb6 said:

Colin,

Thanks for the rely!

I understand the slippery slope but the only problem we run into, not often, is a tool missed being put into the machine.   We have @170ish tools already preset with the offset values (and monitoring tool life) in the controller so no further pickup needed unless a tool is at its life and needs to be replaced.  By going into the tool list on the machine it shows the tools that are currently "in the machine".  These values are in the controller somewhere and I would just like to read them.

If were cutting steel and then have to run alum there can be quite a few tools to swap out.  I would like to do a comparison of the tools, at cycle start, needed in the program to the tool listed in the controller before the operator walks away for the night.  I know, should be check by the operator, which is...but...human factor.

Can you post up a screen shot from the Haas Control of where it is showing "in the machine"? Just trying to narrow down what variables you want to read...

Not seeing those variables published in any of the documentation I've got from Haas. Just out of curiosity; have you tried having your Operators run the Program in Graphics before leaving for the night? That could be a simple way to catch these errors, that doesn't require a bunch of coding... Just a thought. I'm still researching to see if I can find the tool table/tool number macro variables...

What if you were to create a custom post to output a program with all of your tools being used in the program. If you made it a practice to run that program first before the actual lights out at least someone should have verified the tooling to be run.

Or I'm sure there's some smart individuals here or your re-sellar that could put in a custom switch to prompt you at posting if you'd like to post out the tooling first and then the program itself or something along that line.

4 hours ago, Colin Gilchrist said:

Not seeing those variables published in any of the documentation I've got from Haas. Just out of curiosity; have you tried having your Operators run the Program in Graphics before leaving for the night? That could be a simple way to catch these errors, that doesn't require a bunch of coding... Just a thought. I'm still researching to see if I can find the tool table/tool number macro variables...

Most lights out programs are pretty big and some running all weekend. Running in graphics would not be practical to do run....I know, neither is someone not making sure everything is set...😏

This isn't a common occurrence but when it does happen it sucks.  I just want to implement something that would help prevent it from happening.

1 hour ago, Brad St. said:

What if you were to create a custom post to output a program with all of your tools being used in the program. If you made it a practice to run that program first before the actual lights out at least someone should have verified the tooling to be run.

Or I'm sure there's some smart individuals here or your re-sellar that could put in a custom switch to prompt you at posting if you'd like to post out the tooling first and then the program itself or something along that line.

I have thought about having a dummy program for the tools that need to run but that would be time consuming all the time especially if we're running 30 or more tools-good suggestion and appreciate the input!

This isn't a common occurrence or a huge problem but when it does happen it sucks.  I just want to implement something that would help prevent it from happening. If I could just find out where the variables are for the tool list in the machine, I could write a macro that would run at cycle start making sure the tools for the program are in the machine.  In a macro loop it would only take a few seconds to verify.

We do have setup sheets and the tools listed in the program.

image.jpeg.40ea79b27544b23dca1e96a3b830e44b.jpeg

• 2 weeks later...

Colin,

After hearing back from Haas, the tool table is not stored in macro so we can not retrieve them. The next best option to achieve this like you had suggested, the Graphics window. The Loop # in line 16 would need to match the number of tools being used.

Would the post be easy edited for my reseller to output the header below?  That way we could quickly run the graphics and if all is well, turn Block Delete on, Cycle Start, and the program would be off and running.

postoutput.thumb.jpg.802de95e9286ecd3c50cd2d91ed4004d.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/14/2022 at 5:51 PM, tpreb6 said:

Colin,

After hearing back from Haas, the tool table is not stored in macro so we can not retrieve them. The next best option to achieve this like you had suggested, the Graphics window. The Loop # in line 16 would need to match the number of tools being used.

Would the post be easy edited for my reseller to output the header below?  That way we could quickly run the graphics and if all is well, turn Block Delete on, Cycle Start, and the program would be off and running.

postoutput.thumb.jpg.802de95e9286ecd3c50cd2d91ed4004d.jpg

The Post would be easy to edit (for someone who knows how) to output that code.

I'd also add a "G103" after the "END1" loop.

It would require adding 2 String Buffers to the Post File, and filling those Buffers out during the calls to 'pwrtt$' where the Tool Table is normally written. I'd fill the 1st string buffer with the "Tool Variable List", and the 2nd String Buffer with the normal Tool List Comment Strings, and remove the normal "comment writing" output.

Then, in 'psof$', I'd write the 'IF[#3032 EQ 1] GOTO 2' line (I'd use the EQ operator, not '='), then "merge the 1st string buffer", then output all the code for the While Loop and N-Block for the GOTO Jump. Finally, I'd "merge the 2nd String Buffer", to get the Tool List.

Colin,

Thanks for the reply.  I've reached out to my reseller and we are in the process of having our post edited.  I did catch the G103 and EQ after posting.  Can't tell you how many times I have put "=" in place of "EQ"...

• Like 1