Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

CamSoft machine controller

Trapper Paul

Had a look at one the other day in order to set up a post.

3 models - CNC Lite, CNC Plus, CNC Pro.

I looked at the CNC Lite. Didn't support G41/G42 cutter comp, tool length comp activates with the tool call T1 M6 and moves in Z on the next move, even with no Z specified (so your approach needs to be in XYZ or you'll overtravel in +Z). G54 applies on the next move, not the current move, so I called G54 on a line of it's own before the approach move. No G18/G19 plane arc support, no helical arc moves in G17. Full canned drilling cycle support.

I have some MC customers that swithed to MC from camsoft due to post issues. If you want to go with camsoft make sure the post is included and that payment is due when your post works.

I assume you are also looking at MC. Being an MC dealer I may be a little bias, but I think it is the best cam software on the market.

In order to provide you with better feed back let us know what type of parts you are going to machine. Job shop type (anything and everything), production type, etc..

Guest CNC Apps Guy 1

Jimmy, I don;t think he's talking about CAMSOFT the CAD/CAM Software, I think he's talking about the PC Based Retrofit Control they offer.

James, your right I'm looking at running the machine with CamSoft.

Jimmy, I won't change out my mastercam for anything.

I am going to push The Camsoft people for a look-see at the post before I buy....

Thanks everyone, Anyone else? Paul

Guest CNC Apps Guy 1

Paul, I'd also take a gander at the Proto-Trak control. It's pretty friendly though probably not as powerful as the CAMSOFT, then again it depends totally on how you plan on using the machine. If you're going to be programming at the control... I've used the Proto Trak (Southwest Industries???) MX2 (2 Axis) and I basically taught myself in a couple of hours. I sat down with the manual, went through it and was making parts the same day. It's a conversational type control, I used the MX3 (3 Axis) a few times and it was equally as easy. Mind you I used this control when I was about 3 years in the trade (8 years ago) so they may have made it even simpler to use and/or more powerful. Definitely worth a look. It's not PC based (great IMHO) so it's not suceptible to problems with heat/cold. Mastercam has a post for MX2 and MX3.

I have heard of "issues" with CAMSOFT tech support. You can deduce from that what you want. If it were my money, I'd go with the Proto-Trak

HTH

• 2 weeks later...

So much of the retrofit success depends on the local dealer and how good of a job they do interfacing the control to the machine. Check with all your local rebuilders. They may have other options like Anilam, Accurite, Centroid, Dynapath and there's a PC based one that I cant remember the name of right now. Ah-Ha Now I remember it's Ah-Ha (ahha.com), more of a hobbiest controller with stepper motors. Of this group I like the Dynapath Centroid best

How is the machine? You can put the best control on a worn out piece of cr@p and you'll have a Cr@ppy machine with a new control. New electronics does not fix bad ways and sloppy spindles. Make sure its worth upgrading.

Mike Mattera

Not farmiliar with the camsoft controller, sorry. I assume you want to run G-code since you are using mastercam. Many of the retrofits may not support cutter comp, or drill cycles the way you expect. I.E. Acurite supports cutter comp in G code, but you cannot have a radius of 0.0 which makes wear comp a little more difficult. Or peck drilling is supported but all pecking is started at Z0.0 regardless if you want to start your drill cycle at -1.0", etc... I would really dig into not just what they say is supported on a line card but how it is supported, and if that matches what you want. Since you mentioned Minnesota, Milltronics does a lot of retrofits with their Centurion 7 control for a very reasonable price.

HTH and good luck,

Good to hear from you Roger, its good to hear from someone "back home".

I am from Chaska, I worked for Fluoroware and then Empak for many years. Empak and Fluoroware merged and are now known as Entegris. But I bet you know all. I was transfered out here to Colorado and now am the Toolroom manager for Carrio Cabling Corp.

Thanks for everyones input, I think I'll just stay with the controller I have. I works fine, I'll just have to pay the price to Siemens for the upgrades I want.

This forum is a wonderfull tool, Thanks all for everyones support.

Keep grinding away, Paul

• 2 weeks later...

I thought I would update everyone here at the post...

The Cam Soft product looks ok, but (Bottom dollar) very expensive!

Where talking $40,000 to $45,000 for a small mill. $65,000 plus for the old "big" irons!

This is a retro fit add on bottom dollar amount.

(software, hardware and installation.

Thanks for everyone's help, Paul

Hi Paul,

I have seen two camsoft retrofits done. Neither is working. One was a smaller knee mill type machine, the other a very large 5-axis. The knee mill machine was sent to the scrap yard. Not even the people of Camsoft could get it running. The 5-axis now has a GE/Fanuc 15i control on it.