Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

1st stab at rotary programming

Kendo

Theres a lot going on in this file I could use some help with... I even built my own Robodrill for sim and it worked fine til I got into this...

1st off, backplotting is giving me this weird result even though mach sim looks right (normal?)

I chained the top slot and then proceeded CCW to all the other slots/holes... but the path is going around 2/3 of the way, then indexing back to finish the last 3. The A axis needs to index continuously around the part

The code output below, I don't know why the first slot isn't at A0. The top slot in the model is what I chained first, but the code is indexing to A-184 degrees

Finally, at bottom, the mach sim is doing some weird shift when the model is visible. I set the model as stock in the properties. If I simply hide the level the model is on, then mach sim puts it on center like it should, with no shift...??

image.thumb.png.0bc744f5c018de3e072c15e4d25e2138.png

image.png.c92afea97c5c5873c47f8c3682df340d.png

image.thumb.png.c985d7c9cee48aeea6ec2c7005e2152c.png

You've got a couple of things that we can help with, and a few that it'll be hard without the file.

When you're using Unroll, I believe you have to start at the axis you're revolving around, as that's where it's going to unroll from.   You can get an idea what it's going to do by using the "Transform > Roll" command.  That's where A0 is, so in your case, your first chain starts aligned opposite to the Y in your screenshot, so it has to rotate a half a revolution to get to that.  

Cutting some and then unwinding is probably a post issue, you likely have a limit of 360° in there, so it can't proceed past that number.

MachSim not being correct is most likely because you have it set to automatically find the position, change this in your options: image.png.193f4f4f0daa33ca3ded8709199691f0.png

For backplot, I'd make sure that your options has "Simulate Axis Substitution" and "Simulate Rotary Axis" turned on (the "!" symbol in backplot or settings > Config > Simulate > backplot).

Not to scare you but it can look fine in Verify, Machsim and backplot but the NC code running on Vericut may show something else. I was doing a demo for a college and this happened, it was great as I was able to show the importance of using verification software as I was checking all of the code before running it. It was an axis substitution unroll (Contour toolpath) on a 4th axis Haas. 

• Like 1

Thanks guys, I'm processing this info,

Meanwhile heres the file and the robodrill mach sim

I created the slot and hole geometry instead of picking from the model, because the planar geometry gives me the ability to contour ramp

The 3D geometry on the model wouldn't let me ramp.

Also, this model isn't correct. The slots are all being cut radially (with rotary axis) like the slot at the top (see below)

image.thumb.png.591ec3ccd5c83c080c8ba3253450b81b.png

ROBO_DDR.zip ROTARY SLOT.mcam

Only chain the top slot. Then use Toolpath Transform-Rotate to cut the other slots. Double check your code for G55 and G56 (assuming you are using G54).

After looking at it more closely your solid model is showing the side slots being cut not perpendicular to the rotated plane. Do you want it to cut like the model?

The model isn't correct, see above

I need the cycle to proceed in this manner: slot-hole-slot-hole...

(I think) If I transform-rotate a single tool path I have to make one for the slots and one for the holes

Then it'll be: slot-slot-slot  *then*  hole-hole-hole (two trips around)

Or you can do them Slot-Hole-Slot-Hole but more tool changes. See the setting "Operation order"

Also your slot geometry is 2d, this won't work well when un-rolling for an axis substitution. 

I created a custom plane for the 1st hole, use this for your C and T planes for the drill operation.

4th.jpg

Wow, thanks Rekd

Also, Aaron... your settings helped as well with the backplot and mach sim

The holes will be interpolated with same endmill

I was having a hard time getting contour ramp with 3D geometry, so I went 2D

The part is tapered so picking the geometry off the model was weird... but I wish it was that easy

I got it to "work" so far... just need to get the A-axis position and "unrolling" figured out.

image.thumb.png.87ef7249566cc066a68b766bd441a7d9.png