Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Calculating Thread Depth

Sam.B

Hello all!

I am having a bit of trouble figuring out the proper and universal method of calculating thread depths.

I have always thought that counting number of revolutions, and dividing the revolutions by threads per inch was correct, and based on the math, I think it is.

Y/X=Z

Variables:

Y=Number of revolutions

X=Threads per inch

Z=Depth of threads

However, in every Machinery's hanbook I've gone through, they only ever calculate by dividing 1 by threads per inch, to find pitch, then multiplying it by the number of revolutions. 

Y(1/X)=Z

Technically:

Y(1/X)=Y/X

And they should be interchangeable, but I can't find anything verifying this, as everyone just uses Y(1/X)=Z.

Is there any real difference between these two equations? or is there a special rule that makes it so?

I would love to know!

2 hours ago, CEMENTHEAD said:

I always did pitch * turns.

1/2-13

1/13=.0769

10 TURNS OF BOTTOMED OUT GAGE * .0769 = .769 THREAD DEPTH.

Yep as do most people. My main question is why add the extra step of dividing 1 by 13 when you can just do 10/13.

(1/13)*10=.7692

10/13=.7692

Why include the extra step of math? Is there any situation when doing the latter would be ineffective?

47 minutes ago, Sam.B said:

Yep as do most people. My main question is why add the extra step of dividing 1 by 13 when you can just do 10/13.

(1/13)*10=.7692

10/13=.7692

Why include the extra step of math? Is there any situation when doing the latter would be ineffective?

I guess there is no reason really, apart from individual preference. For instance when converting imperial to metric or vise versa i use

25.4 as my conversion factor. My manager uses 0.03937, different factors and opposite multiply/divide but same result.