Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Right Click / Top View (WCS) is Often Not

Jobnt

Vertical Turning Center. The view is really front not TOP, but since they are trying to help people program for a VTL it becomes TOP though in all reality we are really looking in the front view in relationship to the machine. Problem was when Lathe was done it never looked at the machine in TOP it was really FRONT view also. People just accepted the way it was presented and rolled with it. VTL never really got any love for the longest time and then it started to get some attention. People normally just programmed them like a Horizontal lathe and again just rolled with it. Well more and more people realized the issue with this and started making their own planes to make good setup sheets and other thing to have it look like a person running the machine would expect to see it. That is front view like a Horizontal Lathe is. We program in TOP on a Lathe, but a really looking at the front of the machine not the top of machine.

Want to see what I am talking about then just got to a 3 Axis CNC Mill and look at TOP. Are we looking at the top of the machine or the front of the machine? We are looking down along Z Axis. Lathe for the most part are slant bed so in all reality we are not even looking down from the top of the machine in true relationship to the machine as it sits in a Gnomon. Again people just have never really questioned it knew it was the way you programmed a lathe in Mastercam. Then people started really using it for VTL and started running into issues. The other issue was competitive CAM shows it like a VTL not a Horizontal lathe. I got kicked out of a few place years ago trying to explain that one to those shops. It was changed, but again when we click on TOP in the C view we are not really looking at the TOP of a VTL. Then what is the active WCS and then where does the Gview decide to take its dependency on if you have other machine groups programmed in the Mastercam file that are Mill or Lathe. That is was I really see the biggest issues when programming VTL work is if I have other machine groups. I start with a VTL template and bring a model it then I don't get the dd Gview issues. I start in design, mill, or lathe and then add the VTL that is when Mastercam really is not sure where to make TOP view TOP view.

The other issue is we still don't have a MT machine set up as a VTL that I am aware of. Then someone like myself who programs for many different companies with many different types of machines really gets their bran scrambled hoping back and forth between the many different methods and ways to program them all.

• Thanks 1
  • Like 4