Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

lathe 3d tool assembly

mirek1017

There are none that I am aware of. I will say I build my solid models of the VTL Block the tool and the insert on a level in Mastercam and then go from there. You will get the occasional extra planes added to Mastercam importing them. I don't build them the recommend way by individual components and then try to mate them. I make the model like you have shown there. I like using that method that way I can take a screen shot and show someone how the tool was meant to be built on the setup sheet.  I even make a view sheet of each tool build so if anyone needs to know what I was thinking they have it all at their fingertips.

Shoot me an email and we can do a teams or gotomeeting and I will walk through a couple of tools. I have to still eat breakfast with my wife and have a 9:30 am PST kick off meeting with a customer, but later I will be free.

3D Lathe Tool Example Here is a file for a DMU80 I did for a customer with HSK100 and C6 Holders. I have used this same file through about 8 versions of Mastercam now so it kind of took a life of it's own to help me build these kind of 3D tools in a way that helps me do good documentation along with build 3D tools easier. See if it helps.

• Like 7

One thing to watch for it define the holder as they will be tool changed on the machine. That looks like a standard VTL holder so Vertical is who the holders will be changed. A DMU FD or other type of VTL has a tool changer that is Horizontal and the tools need to be built according to that and not how they will run on the machine.

An annoying issue is trying to edit 3D tools with the operation manager parked on a 2nd screen. If you try to edit the 3D tool through the Lathe tool Manager it is hit or miss if you can edit the holder after it is created. Then you try to edit it in the operation and if the operations manager is parked in the main session of Mastercam you can edit the holder, but if it is not then again hit or miss if you can edit the holder after you have created the 3D tool. Where this becomes important is making sure the Time notch is facing the correct direction when building your 3D tools. Your machine may or may not be able to flash the tools. What that means is spin the tool from an Right facing as you show it to the be a Left hand facing by spinning the whole holder body with the insert body inside of it. A lot of the B Axis Mill/Turns have the ability. We control that with Tool Angle in the Operation page defining the tool.

Here is one I am building this morning. Again trying to make and then mate 4 different competent through the 3D Lathe tool manager would take me about 20-30 minutes of work. I built it once then can make a nice image to add to the setup sheet detailing everything. Build them separately and then try to come back and label them or get good information though any process like Active Reports or X+ is limited to the method as it is given to end users using 3D Lathe Tools. My work is completely different than a direct programmer working for a company, but I have to think a lot of the methods I use would benefit any programmer.

image.png.093f3d499c36744dc99845afdc26886b.png

• Like 3

Sorry to keep coming back to this thread, but something to be aware of is the slicing plane when doing face grooving tools. I didn't pay attention to it and was getting over cutting on my face groove tool. I had to go back and adjust the slicing plane on Tool Assembly > Boundary Page

image.png.9067b55591d3074806e4130c89ccf774.png

image.png.040aacb4b106d12dbd29c09d2270f5de.png

image.png.cca854cf6713b60ee1a9731c83acb7bf.png

image.png.c4716239af79bfbf55d52c88645b6ac5.png

• Thanks 2
  • Like 1
  • 2 months later...
On 4/29/2023 at 10:21 AM, crazy^millman said:

The other downside with importing the models into your Mastercam file is al the additional planes. I have reported this issue since 2019 and sill no closer to getting it resolved.

image.thumb.png.f1f5376136b2cef9ddf414f1dc66813f.png

I don't seem to get any additional planes when I import models for creating 3D lathe tools. I'm also not using the mill-turn environment. I'm using  lathe machine definitions with milling. Maybe that's why I don't see any additional planes being created.