Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Rotary Engraving

Z Feed

In MCam2019 I created a text chain wrapped around a round part in a Haas RT. I set my Z zero offset on the top of the part. When I start my program I'm cutting air. It seems Z zero needs to be part centerline? My original chain was done flat at the Z plane with regard to my WCS, then thru my Parameter setting using Rotary Access Control  I've got it shown wrapped and proved out correctly as evidenced by my backplot. All looks good on the PC, but not at the part. 

Made an attempt to attach a file of the program and my backplot. Not sure it will open though...

Greatly appreciate any input on this,

Kevin

Doc1.doc

Doc1.doc

53 minutes ago, #Rekd™ said:

Your part centerline should be on the Axis center. Then you should be able to do an Axis Substitution with a Contour toolpath.

Thank you! Can I simply add the radius value to my tool offset? 

24 minutes ago, crazy^millman said:

Where is your Mastercam file? Rekd is correct Z0 needs to be the center line of the 4th Axis.

Here are a few examples of different things i have shared over the years.

Gear Shift Knob

Name Engraving Flat

24 minutes ago, crazy^millman said:

Where is your Mastercam file? Rekd is correct Z0 needs to be the center line of the 4th Axis.

Here are a few examples of different things i have shared over the years.

Gear Shift Knob

Name Engraving Flat

Thank you! What is the best way to show/send a picture of a MCAM project/ file to support my questions? 

29 minutes ago, Z Feed said:

Can I simply add the radius value to my tool offset?

Likely but double check by bringing the tool down to the Z0.0 and then set an Origin on the control. Then back up the radius of the part (in Z) and check your tool to the edge of the part.

I subtracted the radius of my workpiece to my tool offset, as set from the top of my part. In theory that's my Z0. It worked, but i feel I backed into setting that Z zero. Is there a better way?  

Thank you guys for your help here!! 

BTW- love the "focking stick on the ice" quote. Spittin Chiclets is part of the game!! 

Kevin

Running MCam 2109 at the desktop, and behind me is the Haas TM2 with a HRT210. I consider my self "green" with all three components but man,I sure love learning on the job!

I also am big on book reading the manuals but it sure helps to get connected with forums like this one... thanks  and look forward to future posts.

They claim i just made 'Rookie" status here! Onward and upwards..

Kevin keep it up and many of us are glad to help you grow and learn. This website has all of the Mastercam PDF for free. I am close to crossing the 19,000 posting mark and almost 20 years on this forum come June. There is always something to learn and none of us are perfect. Keep doing your best and learn from your mistakes as you make them. I still make my share of mistakes so just know you're in good company because you are trying to better yourself like a lot of us.

• Thanks 1
1 hour ago, Z Feed said:

Is there a better way? 

I would for simplicity like to have a block or blocks (gauge blocks or 1-2-3 blocks or a machined block) that is the exact height from the table to the center of the rotary. Then I can just probe that for the Z location each time. Then you can probe your tools. No math required.

• Thanks 1
  • Like 1