Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Rotary axis

G Lewis

I am struggling, essentially what I am trying to do is use a face mill to create a spiral toolpath on the O.D. of a cylinder. I am using Unified Guided tool path and have the toolpath I want. The issue is in backplot the tool is rotating around the part following the spiral toolpath, I need the Tool to stay stationary in X and Y and just drop in Z while the part rotates in C to create my spiral. I thought it was only in backplot but when I output the code I am seeing large values in X and Y where it is still trying to move to tool around the part... I am at a complete loss.

52 minutes ago, G Lewis said:

I am struggling, essentially what I am trying to do is use a face mill to create a spiral toolpath on the O.D. of a cylinder. I am using Unified Guided tool path and have the toolpath I want. The issue is in backplot the tool is rotating around the part following the spiral toolpath, I need the Tool to stay stationary in X and Y and just drop in Z while the part rotates in C to create my spiral. I thought it was only in backplot but when I output the code I am seeing large values in X and Y where it is still trying to move to tool around the part... I am at a complete loss.

Sounds like you could use a simple contour toolpath with the compensation set to off, using axis substitution.  If you download the free training materials from In-house there is an example of this in Exercise 3 of the Multi-Axis PDF.

• Like 1
3 hours ago, #Rekd™ said:

Sounds like you could use a simple contour toolpath with the compensation set to off, using axis substitution.  If you download the free training materials from In-house there is an example of this in Exercise 3 of the Multi-Axis PDF.

Ive been trying to get that to work for a bit now and can't seem to get what I am looking for. I like  the toolpath I was able to get using unified guide selecting my top and bottom arcs on the cylinder just can't seem to get the C axis to control to rotation.

2 minutes ago, G Lewis said:

Ive been trying to get that to work for a bit now and can't seem to get what I am looking for. I like  the toolpath I was able to get using unified guide selecting my top and bottom arcs on the cylinder just can't seem to get the C axis to control to rotation.

@Aaron Eberhard Suggested adding a Mastercam file to your request for help. If you can't share that exact file make something up similar. Honestly if you add a file here you will get many people offering you ideas and help.

12 minutes ago, #Rekd™ said:

@Aaron Eberhard Suggested adding a Mastercam file to your request for help. If you can't share that exact file make something up similar. Honestly if you add a file here you will get many people offering you ideas and help.

I attached a very crude example of what I have for a toolpath and you can see that in backplot and simulation the tool is rotating around the part and the same when you output the code. I am looking to have to tool advance in Z and the part rotate in C axis. I'm not sure if maybe there is a line in the code that is converting it so when the machine reads it, it performs the task the way I am wanting it to. Or possible an option in the parameters that I may have missed. 

Example.mcam

See the attached file.

1 )  As JoshC says, your part is not oriented to cut in the C axis.  you need to physically rotate it along the X axis (not Z) if you want the post to output C axis motion, and the tool axis control needs to be adjusted.   I used Dynamic, but Align to Axis works well, too.   You cannot physically cut this part aligned to Z, you would need a B axis to do that.

B )  This is the advanced one, you probably want to be using the Surface engine, not the Geodesic engine to get this output.   Change to Morph instead of Guides.

The reason:  By having the toolpath set to Guides, you're essentially asking it to create a (multiaxis) equal scallop toolpath.   Normally, that's fine, BUT, in this case, you're going to be picking up "jitter" (for lack of a better term) that is coming with the way that geodesic algorithms propagate across the meshed surfaces they use in the background.  That will show up as XY motion.  Surface toolpaths propagate in a different manner which can hold a smoother position on the surface because they're driven more from the surface topology.   The downside is that there are situations where the surface engine (which drives Morph, Parallel, Cuts Along Curve/Perpendicular, and Project) will have stepover concerns depending on the topology you're using. 

Bonus track: Compare Toolpath #1 to #2.  You probably don't want to be cutting right to the center with a tool like this, that would be bad, mmm'kay?   If you change your Tool Axis Control page from "auto" to "Front," you'll get the tool positioned off in the Y Axis, cutting with the leading edge.    Op #1 is Front cutting, #2 is set to Center/Auto

C Axis Cutting with Unified Example.zip

• Like 1