Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Is 2024 working well or should we stick with 2023?

amw

Well,

this is my first week completely in 2024, and so far I'm mostly happy. I really like the new stock model manager that keeps all my updates easily available to me and I can simply set which one I want as active.

I also really like that they put the tip comp setting with the rest of the drill's Linking Parameters page. Don't know how many times I've forgotten to change that even when I try to make a point of it.

And my 3d High Speed Area rest roughing seems to calculate a LOT faster, though I haven't been on one of my big parts yet, so we'll see.

And it seems like they've fixed some other annoying little issues that weren't worth mentioning in the past, but I'm happy they seem to be gone...fingers crossed...

But they've also broken some little things that I used to use, but they aren't huge issues, and I can easily work around them. So far, though, I think this might be the best version since 2019.

• Like 3
  • 3 weeks later...

I have problems with 2024, Productivity+ not working for, I haven't been able to produce NC code. Mastercam crashes most of the time. I have 4 computers and it happens on all of them.

I import all my models as a STEP file. some files are okay, some are missing surfaces, so I have to go to my configuration file and play with Solid import check or uncheck, attempt to heal solids or Use surface stitching to import solids. so annoying, so now I do the import on Mastercam2023, save my file and open Mastercam2024.

probe5.jpg

probe1.jpg

16 hours ago, tornero32 said:

I have problems with 2024, Productivity+ not working for, I haven't been able to produce NC code. Mastercam crashes most of the time. I have 4 computers and it happens on all of them.

I import all my models as a STEP file. some files are okay, some are missing surfaces, so I have to go to my configuration file and play with Solid import check or uncheck, attempt to heal solids or Use surface stitching to import solids. so annoying, so now I do the import on Mastercam2023, save my file and open Mastercam2024.

Can't help you with P+, but on the solids front if you use the Open button on the top of the screen, then choose "Step" from the pull down, you can get to those options on the fly without going into configuration first:

image.png.ea83bf160803a57b3b5a5e20465faff2.png

On 7/14/2023 at 4:51 AM, sharles said:

They turned migrating/updating our Varco Reports into a nightmare. My IT lady had to manually do it, with multiple phone calls and goto meetings with Jim, but we finally got it working.

These types of issues have been generally caused by system permissions, as some of my application files were installed to the Mastercam folder in Program Files. With my next release the Varco Reports will install outside of Mastercam in the users Public Documents folder, which should avoid permissions issues. They will continue to be used the same way they have been, just like using the Mastercam reports. I am doing more testing and hope to have this release available very soon. 

• Thanks 1
  • Like 4
On 7/5/2023 at 9:06 AM, Jobnt said:

One of those pieces of geometry was associated to a toolpath but GibbScam won't tell you that when you try to delete it. They'll just quietly delete it just like you asked. But if you try to regen that operation GibbScam will quietly delete it because it has no geometry because it didn't tell you it was associated when you deleted it. 

How utterly horrifying

• Like 1
23 hours ago, Jim Varco said:

ActiveReports Developer

On 8/10/2023 at 9:58 AM, Jobnt said:

Mastercam ActiveReports: The Joe Biden of Computer Apps. 

Oh. Sorry.

Nothing personal.

:lol:

10 hours ago, jpatry said:

How utterly horrifying

It is. I almost fell out of my chair when the Gibbscam tech said that with a straight face. What's even more scary is that many (most?) Gibbs users could care less. They're conditioned to think that's normal. 

On 8/11/2023 at 6:30 AM, Aaron Eberhard said:

Can't help you with P+, but on the solids front if you use the Open button on the top of the screen, then choose "Step" from the pull down, you can get to those options on the fly without going into configuration first:

image.png.ea83bf160803a57b3b5a5e20465faff2.png

Thank you, Aaron, work much better.

• Thanks 1
  • Like 1
On 8/14/2023 at 7:25 AM, Jobnt said:

Gibbs users could care less. They're conditioned to think that's normal. 

Most Gibbs users are like Apple iPhone users. Conditioned to accept whatever Apple does and however it does it as normal.... or as I like to think of it; in Pee Wee Herman's Pee Wee's Big Adventure.... Pee Wee Herman is riding his bike and he crashes in epic fashioned, gets up and says "I meant to do that."... Apple Users accept that with a smile.

Meanwhile the rest of us are :rofl:

:coffee:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
10 minutes ago, cncappsjames said:

Most Gibbs users are like Apple iPhone users. Conditioned to accept whatever Apple does and however it does it as normal

Agreed. And that's not to say Gipples doesn't have good features, they do! They just make sure you use it their way, not yours.

• Like 1
2 hours ago, cncappsjames said:

Indeed. You don't exist as a company for 35+ years without doing something that people like.

Apple being the biggest example of that. I get it, if you're not a technophile and you just want something to work, without caring how it works, companies like Gibbs & Apple are perfect for you.

Just not my cuppa.

• Like 2