Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

O/T Tivo

Charles Davis

Just wondering who else has Tivo? This is like a VCR but it uses hard drive and computer technology.

It allows you to pause live television, replay in slow motion (sports fans), skip commercials, etc. and totally changes the way you use television.

This is such a cool technology, that I can't stand television any more without it.

p.s. I own NO stock in this company, I just wanted to pass on a cool thing to the other Mastercammer's.

I just got one of them a few weeks back...and yes I also highly recommend it.

One of the coolest thing (at least to me) is that TIVO used Linux as their OS in their box...which means that you can easily add more capacity.(another HD) I am unsure about voiding my warantee already by doing this...but its a given that sometime in the near future I will.

hacking the TIVO

Yeah, Tivo rules. I bought one when they first came out. Cost almost $1000. Best $1000 I have ever spent. Now the sattelite companies give them away. If anyone is thinking they might like one, you are right. Stop dragging your feet and get one. And then set up a wishlist for machine tool. It will pick up some cool stuff on the History Channel that people here may appreciate.

Man, it's the greatest invention since (fill in the blank). I'm still amazed at how many of my acquaintances don't realize the convenience of the system. Phone rings? Dog's gotta go out NOW!!!? Blinked at the wrong time? Couldn't hear what he/she said?

Pause...

Replay...

One-touch (or even no-touch) recording...

Stop me before I hyperventilate!! firebounce.gif

I got my Tivo in November, and love it! Since getting it, I actually watch much less TV, since all of it is shows that I want to watch, and no channel surfing any more smile.gif I hacked it (looks real complicated, but the step by step newbie guides are good) and added a 200 gig hard drive. So far so good! Nothing like wrenching in the garage on a rainy sunday, no racing on TV, but having ALMS, GrandAm, F1, TransAm (and maybe NASCAR if nothing else is recorded!) for hours on end. Life is good! That, and having all of the programs you like automatically recorded, without needing to remember.

Andris

Andris,

I found the same thing: I watch far less TV since now I watch with a purpose.

It took me a month or two to truly "get it" when it comes to Tivo.

Now, if a program comes on that I like, I switch to it, and hit the Pause button.

Then I go do some productive work; take out the garbage, etc to give it time to buffer up. Then I come back sit down, and watch the program; zipping through the commercials.

Occassionally I will watch a commercial if it is very interesting, but I skip 95% of them (especially the incessant furniture commercials when I am not in the market for furniture!).

You can buy these for about $250 now. There is a service fee (about $10 per month, or $300?? for lifetime service).

Get Tivo: it makes TV bearable!

quote:

You can buy these for about $250 now. There is a service fee (about $10 per month, or $300?? for lifetime service).

dont wanna sound like an xxxx but for that I can buy a lot more fun that actualy gets me somthing useful and fun. I admit I pay for direct tv basic just for the do nothing days but TV has really sour'd me latley. everything on it is (look at me ) (look at me) IM a star. rolleyes.gif

I think todays youth is wasted by these shows. non productive crap. everybody wants to be a star

sorry, have a really **** day

I love it also! The old lady REALLY loves it when she gets home from work and her soaps:banghead: are ready for her and she can zoom through the commercials. biggrin.gif I record the Giants games and start watching it about 45 minutes after it starts and wind up live about the 8th inning after zooming through the commercials and the in between pitch crap. Highly reccomend it for sports fans!

The tinkerer in me would like to build it myself because I know I can. Your Tivo is just a PC probably running some form of Linux. It would give me a reason to learn something about Linux. So far I've not had a reason to play with Linux. As for boxes, I could retire one of my old windows boxes and it really wouldn't cost me anything except some software and possibly a new Video card.

Mike Mattera

One thing Tivo does is dial up every night and get a complete schedule from your cable company.

When I get home at night I have Dennis Miller, Tough Crowd, The Daily Show and Special Report with Brit Hume waiting for me. What more can I say? cheers.gif

It can also go out and find programs you like; for example, if you like documentaries, etc.

• 1 month later...
Guest CNC Apps Guy 1

I'm considering it... though sice I only have basic cable it's not much use unless I wanna tape something which is rare but still considering it nontheless...

The only thing better then TIVO in my opinion is having 2 TIVOs! I have mine hooked up through wireless so I can share shows between the two. No need for putting in a bigger harddrive if you have a DVD burner just put it disk. You can also play MP3's on your surround sound. What can I say I'm a techno geek!! As for the guy who can't find anything good on TV... you'll find much more of the good stuff once you have TIVO guaranteed plus you can bypass all the commercials! Check it out it's worth a look!

Kelly

2 years ago I went to visit my friend in Missouri,

She had Tivo and I razzed her about it saying that it was useless and didn't need it.

Well she went off to work and I stayed there all day and when she came home I couldn't stop playing with the tivo.

I absolutely love it,and bought one of my own.

Wuhoo!