Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Version upgrade best practice?

kunfuzed

In all my years  of using Mcam, I've never done much on the administration side.   I purchased my first seat almost 3 years ago, and finally am getting some time to upgrade to 2023.  Are there any tips or tricks?  Or does the migration wizard pretty well take care of everything after I install the latest version? Thanks!

In the past migrating your Configuration files was always a fraught endeavor, and I don't know how many times doing so would end up making that version glitchy and almost unusable until I finally simply deleted that folder and started from scratch. I think 2024 may be the first time I haven't noticed any issues: so be aware in 2023. Also, I always went ahead and updated my mastercam version and poked around in the things I used most often before I updated (or had our IT depart.) update the rest of the guys because many of the X versions were unusable as well as 2020/2021 for us because the bugs were so bad in them. I just posted on another thread that 2024 may be the best version I've used since 2019, but I'm only 3 days into only using it.

We keep our tool library on our server so everyone uses the same ones with all the latest updates, and so that I had to do separately from the rest of the migration, and that also required me fixing each machine definition we have to look there instead of the default.

Good luck!

• Like 3

Yeah, now that I think about it 2023 was a real b!tch with my configuration file. From time to time it simply wiped out ALL my configuration settings, and so I kept a CONFIG folder on my desktop after the second time because I got tired of trying to recreate my personal settings.

• Like 2

I must be doing something wrong when trying to copy my config files because the only thing that's ever stuck for me was the background color. Seems like it would be a simple thing to do, but I can't seem to get it right. Didn't even bother trying it when going to 2024. 

• Like 1

I got burned way to many times in the past for buggy migration wizards so I copy all my files (cnc machines, posts, tools, NO configs) into a separate folder and run the migration wizard on that folder only then rename it all with the version in front of my files (ex: 2023_haas_3x.pst to 2024_haas_3x.pst) then move those files into the correct folders for that version. Every version I redo the interface by hand and I take my time doing it.

• Like 2

I've used the Migration Wizard for the last 2 releases (2023 and 2024) and it's been flawless as far as I can tell. I use the advanced wizard because I only want specific things (Machine/Control Defs, Posts, Tool Libraries, and Ops). I used to do it manually as well. Someone convinced me I should give it a shot, and I did.

I still manually do settings/config, etc... (file locations, colors, defaults, etc...). Used to take a few hours. Now it's generally under an hour to square away a new version.

• Like 3
On 7/26/2023 at 5:39 AM, sharles said:

In the past migrating your Configuration files was always a fraught endeavor, and I don't know how many times doing so would end up making that version glitchy and almost unusable until I finally simply deleted that folder and started from scratch. I think 2024 may be the first time I haven't noticed any issues: so be aware in 2023. Also, I always went ahead and updated my mastercam version and poked around in the things I used most often before I updated (or had our IT depart.) update the rest of the guys because many of the X versions were unusable as well as 2020/2021 for us because the bugs were so bad in them. I just posted on another thread that 2024 may be the best version I've used since 2019, but I'm only 3 days into only using it.

We keep our tool library on our server so everyone uses the same ones with all the latest updates, and so that I had to do separately from the rest of the migration, and that also required me fixing each machine definition we have to look there instead of the default.

Good luck!

I thought I remembered that about the config files.  Thanks for the reminder!  Glad to hear 2024 sounds pretty stable.  The only thing I have issues with in 2021 was occaisonally a lathe face toolpath would overcut, depending on what mood it was in that day.

On 7/26/2023 at 11:37 AM, cncappsjames said:

I've used the Migration Wizard for the last 2 releases (2023 and 2024) and it's been flawless as far as I can tell. I use the advanced wizard because I only want specific things (Machine/Control Defs, Posts, Tool Libraries, and Ops). I used to do it manually as well. Someone convinced me I should give it a shot, and I did.

I still manually do settings/config, etc... (file locations, colors, defaults, etc...). Used to take a few hours. Now it's generally under an hour to square away a new version.

Thanks James.  I may give it a shot and just see how it goes before going manual.

Thanks for the info everyone.  Good to hear the reminders as I've been out of the loop with starting a buisness without mcam for a couple years, to getting 2021 and having no time to update since.  Lots of that sounds familiar. Thanks again.

• Like 1