Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

SHORT LEAN OUT ON LATHE THRED CYCKLE

mirek1017

That is normally controlled by a canned cycle setting on the machine. Will need to read up on what the control allows for this. I have had very strict threading requirements in the past on parts with timing, true position and other things. In each of those situation I thread milled the thread and didn't turn them. If you can this specific lead out requirement because of an ignorant engineer then I suggest you consider thread milling it.

My example was for a rocket flange that was under 1,000,000 psi of force. The locking keys for the studs that set the height for the studs at assembly where +/-.015. To machine the slots for the keys in relation to the thread pitch we had to mill everything. Then on the flange side we thread milled the threads and then broached the locking slots into the flange. When we hit everything within .001" I get this puzzled look of how did we archived that tight of a tolerance. I just reminded them Math doesn't lie. Crazy person got accused for going behind peoples back to the Vice President of the rocket company about using cutter comp to reduce 40 hours of programming and 900 Mastercam operation down to 5 and saving tons of time when ti was the Vice President who stayed late one night asked me what would be a good way to help reduce programming time and effort. Oh well between that and the union grievances that cost my company $6 million in work I did the right thing and glad I did it and would do it again!!!

• Thanks 1
  • Like 1