Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Mach. Sim.: How to build a machine with a ROTARY AXIS NOT ALIGNED with X and/or Y?

M Ham

Hello,

I have built a half dozen 5 axis machines or so without issue, all with pretty typical kinematics, however. I have a 5 axis machine with a rotary axis that does not align/rotate about X and/or Y axis. The A axis (“knuckle head”) on this machine is rotated about Z 32.96 degrees and rotated up from the XY plane 50 degrees.

On the more conventional kinematic mills, A axis simply rotates about X, B axis about Y, etc. Within Mastercam Machine Sim (2023 Update 4), how do I change the angle of the centerline of rotation to replicate how the A axis of this machine head behaves?

Also, the pivot length calculates out to about 1.0236”/26mm.

Thank You, Mike.

PICS: ISO View of mill, Top Down View of A axis "Knuckle Head", Front View of A axis "Knuckle Head".

Machine ISO_60.jpg

A Axis Top Down_50.jpg

A Axis Front_70.jpg

Got It!,

I drew one line through the spindle axis, and drew a 2nd line through the CL of A axis rotation. Where these 2 lines intersected is the P/L (Pivot Length). I made the line I created running through the CL of A axis rotation a factor of "1", or simply 1.0000". I then measured from one end of the line at the P/L to the other end of the line in XYZ. These measurements became the entries in the "Direction" fields. In this case X-0.642793, -0.416695, Z0.642793 to represent the 50 degrees & 32.96 degrees noted prior. Also, I was dealing with inaccurate info thinking the P/L was 26mm/1.0236, it ended up being -0.6295, a negative number, meaning it was actually below the spindle face, not above it. Seems to be working good.

Thanks for the tip.

Mike Ham_Machine Shop Manager_5 AX CNC Programmer_Woodland Trade Co. Inc.

• Like 3

Who's Bob 😀?,

Thanks for the kind words. Yes that picture you posted is indeed of the machine I was building in Mastercam. Had it in VeriCut for many years, just wasn't familiar with what Mastercam was looking for regarding kinematics info, VeriCut works a bit different. Implemented Mastercam a bit ago, just getting around to building all of our machines. We also have a FPT DinoMax gantry, among other 5 Axis mills/routers. Video of the Stinger from years back on YouTube. Another video of Woodland Trade Co. Inc., you'll see a quick clip of our FPT DinoMax 5 AX gantry at about 35 seconds in.

Mike Ham_Machine Shop Manager_5 AX CNC Programmer

• Like 2

Mike sorry for the name change duhh.  :wallbash::wallbash:I fixed it in my other response.

Impressive shop and work. Good to see Verisurf being used in your shop. No Friday's or Saturday's sounds like a great management team.

Vericut is looking at the NC code the Standalone Machinesim doesn't. To get a Machinesim to look more to the NC code would have to have a custom post made, but why bother if you have Vericut.