Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

C axis dynamic mill in a Mazak Mill-Turn

Hi all, I am trying to mill a pocket that requires me to rotate the C axis as I mill since the walls of the pocket are not parallel. I intend to mill with the endmill vertical, with the tool perpendicular to the axis of rotation.

image.png.ca9c96732177b4bcfa370de102c11fe4.png

Above is the part I'm trying to mill. The pocket is between the legs.

What kind of toolpath will I need to use? I don't want a simple contour or pocket, I am looking for a peel or dynamic mill. How would I select the geometry? I would appreciate any assistance.

Edit: Here's a video showing the toolpath I am looking for. I just don't know how to make it happen in mastercam. I understand the fella in the video used a different software than mastercam, but it must be possible.

Edit 2: Added MasterCAM part file

part.mcam

38 minutes ago, #Rekd™ said:

You will need to do an axis substitution. 

No it can be done with Mulitaxis pocket just need to create some geometry is all. Check out my website I was doing this years ago on an impeller with Mastercam, but did use Axis sub and peel mill to make that toolpath. Make

nice website for APS Technology Link

www.5thaxisprogramming.com

I made a solid that looks like this in green.

image.png.cadbe04c3883f6b8b1ca3cc70587ddf5.png

Picked the Wall Geometries:

image.png.1f3e60797324f60b3e03e443adec0ba2.png

Picked the floor, containment using upper edge and then one slice and got this nice toolpath using an 1/8 endmill.

image.png.a4c6f32b0757ba78a65af1a294eaa7b7.png

Must have 2024 to see the file. 5th Axis part_2024

• Thanks 1
7 hours ago, Vault said:

I'm out of the office for the weekend so I can't try anything until monday.

Would it also be possible to do a dynamic mill (like the style paths i have now) that starts out in space instead of helix-ing in.

Yes that would have to be done like #REKD said with axis sub to achieve it. You would need a stock model of the turned stock. Let see if someone else is willing to help out. If not then I will add that to the shared file next week. Sorry putting in a ton of time this weekend on a hot job.

Yeah, you can do it pretty easily with Multiaxis Pocket, you just have to give it a floor and a stock.  I created a stock model from from Op# 2 (Lathe Roughing), then made sure to point the Pocketing op at it.   I used an extruded circle as my floor (create a circle, Surface > Extrude), and just selected the entire model as my drive geometry. 

It gave me this:

image.png.e80b0ab1126d069204af1ab93d7c09d1.png

You can check out the file here:  https://vectormfg-my.sharepoint.com/:u:/g/personal/aeberhard_vector-mfg_com/EVI_Nbbq4ZRIrd0zDqL8FUcBZV8zKbs8z5zUXgOnVyXKtQ?e=qHhtmh

(I'm almost out of space here on e-mastercam). 

Let me know if you'd like me to make a video on it.  I've been avoiding going out in the rain this morning, but it's soccer time now so it'll have to be a bit later :)

Cheers,

• Thanks 2
  • Like 1

I tried the multi axis pocketing this morning. It seems to work, but there are a few issues that I can't seem to fix. First, for some reason it doesn't get close enough to the walls of the legs and leaves a hefty amount on there despite the fact that I told it to leave only .005. However it seems to finish the back wall (bottom of legs) with the appropriate amount of stock:

image.png.ed2bfa627fd71ce549d6754a51d745da.png

Second, It seems to really want to mill the face of the feet (which is already turned to size) before roughing into the legs. What can I do to my geometry to prevent this? I've already deselected the face as in my part geometry.

Edit: upon closer examination, it seems that the tool values being perpendicular to the face over parallel with the legs. Is there a different way I can do this?

part.mcam

Sorry, just had a moment of free time here. 

Yep, you got it.  The Pocketing toolpath works by being normal to the floor surface at the centerline of the tool, which in this case will leave material in the edges:

image.png.be4e2a776b72e144458f3e73dfd99a82.png

The only solution to this would either be to do a swarf toolpath or, to create a floor surface that is bent with how you want the tool to bend.  In this case, your slot is too small to smoothly transition between sides with this type of toolpath.  If you were to do that, you'd need to create a spline at the bottom of the floor that lined up with the lines offset from the wall by the radius .25.  It would look like this:

image.png.b9a72f499c853367f9773d92439ca40f.png

Either way, you can use the Pocketing toolpath to do a rest finishing operation.   I put a video up here:

• Thanks 2
  • Like 2