Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Does anyone use sandvik 460 drills?

We are cutting grade 5 titanium and the website says 4000 rpm at 19 ipm for a .177drill.

I tried it at 85% of that and it didn't like it. It walked pretty bad. 1 inch deep .177dia 1200psi tsc in a hammer shrink. No peck and no spot drill. It was at 13%load on the mam 72-35v.

Anyone use these in titanium before?

No personal experience, but it looks like its just a plain jane single margin drill advertised as a "do it all" drill. My experience with "do it all" tools is that they can do it all, but usually not as well as a more specific tool would.  A double margin drill would typically yield better straightness, but have problems if you aren't breaking a chip.

What is your definition of walked pretty bad? Maybe consider spotting it first if you can?

IMHO, that's too much feed for Titanium to keep a straight hole and for the drill to hold up.

I'd be .0015-.002 ipr and about 110sfm, for best hole quality I would use a Kennametal YPL drill, three margin, acts like a gundrill.  For the cheapest thru coolant drill option I would use a Kennametal GOdrill.  Marginless, won't bind up in the hole, usually very good bang for the buck.

1 hour ago, huskermcdoogle said:

IMHO, that's too much feed for Titanium to keep a straight hole and for the drill to hold up.

I'd be .0015-.002 ipr and about 110sfm, for best hole quality I would use a Kennametal YPL drill, three margin, acts like a gundrill.  For the cheapest thru coolant drill option I would use a Kennametal GOdrill.  Marginless, won't bind up in the hole, usually very good bang for the buck.

+1 on lowering the ipr a bit. Didn't realize he was at .00475" ipr and thats a tad more aggressive than I would do.

Also, +1 on the GOdrills as far as tool life goes. I didn't check them for position, but I drilled ~600 holes with a 5/16" one about 1" deep in 4140 at 38rc and that tool is still in the machine looking minty. Finally a Kennametal product I like

6 hours ago, huskermcdoogle said:

Thanks.

I went back to the guring firex for now. I'll look at those