Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Makino Data server

KDam

Hello.

I hope someone can help me. We have just got an used Makino V33i with Pro5. Now im trying to figure out how to set up the data server.

We have a NAS with a ftp server on. Both my cam station and the data server can see files on this ftp server.  But how do i run a program. I have tried both io device 5 and 15 under setting->communication. With 5 i cannot set m198 folder at all. with 15 i can set m198 folder but not on the ftp server. I guess i can copy the file from the ftp server to one of the other folders, but that seems like an extra unnessasary step.

I might have mixed some names up. Im using the Makino Data Center menu. i have a manual, but it doesn't mention a lot about connecting to and running programs from a ftp server. I i try to mark the ftp server or a folder on it, it says "cannot specify the selected folder"

EDIT:   I think I mis-read your original question.. I thought you were trying to access the files stored on the DS for sub/macro kinda stuff.. On a second read, I think you're just trying to load them.    Apologies.

On the Kitamura it was as simple as going to Program > File Dir > DS, then selecting the program (e.g., o2 [Down arrow]). 

-----------------------------------------------

I'm not 100% sure if it's the same, but I just did a turn key on a Kitamura, and to use the files stored on the data server I had call them by name using M98, not with the M198 like I was accustomed to.    It didn't matter if I had the main program stored locally or right next to it on the data server.

To call the sub program (e.g., O0002), I formatted it like this:

M98 <O0002>, D0;     (note that it is D is the device you're calling out, so it may be a D2, D3, etc., on your machine).

Someone who is more knowledgeable in the ways of Fanuc might be able to tell ya why I had to do that, but I'm just writing it off as the machine tool guys didn't buy the 'normal' option :)

I'm confused, why can't you run programs straight from the data server? I just switch my foreground and background folder to dataserver and I can run whatever I want without using a sub program call.  This on a 2019 Yasda with a pallet changer and Fanuc 31i-B5 with IHMI.  I know the older PX30i has to use sub program calls, but that is a software issue on the pallet changer side that the scheduler could not pull programs from the data server when it was in unattended mode.  The newer Yasda has better software and can pull straight from the dataserver as long as your foreground and background folders are set to dataserver.

As GoetsInd mentions, it looks like makino has its own screen for DNC named Makino Datacenter. I have not found a way to run any programs from that screen. I can set a folder to be M198 folder. I can be any folder on whats called the internal card (no card in the external card). But i cannot set the ftp server or a folder on the ftp server as the M198 folder. I get the message "Cannot specify the selected folder". The ftp server runs on our NAS. The Manual (a translated version of the screen handbook) says you can use a folder on a hostcomputer as the M198 folder. The manual doesn't say anything about a ftp server thou, but only about shared folders. But the window where you setup external connections there is a checkbox for ftp server

The only way i can run a program is to copy the file from the ftp server to the internal card (the M198 folder). Then on the program screen make a program that calls the copied program with M198, select the program and press start. I cannot see any of the files on the internal card in the program screen

On 11/5/2023 at 1:56 AM, cncappsjames said:

Since the advent of the 30i series control you've been able to run DIRECTLY from the Dataserver. No running from subs, just straight. If you cannot, that is a machine tool builder limitation. 

We're running the main program and the subs directly from the Data Server with no issues. (Fanuc 16i)