Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

HSM Advisor and finishing

JB7280

Do you guys use HSM Advisor for finishing?  How do you usually tweak the sliders to get a good baseline for finishing?  Mine always seems to be way off if I'm using the "tips" they give you when hovering the mouse.  

For instance, I have a 3/16 endmill, 1.375" flute length, in 6061, and it's suggesting max RPM.  I'd bet my 401k that that's gonna chatter like a banshee.  

4 hours ago, JB7280 said:

Do you guys use HSM Advisor for finishing?  How do you usually tweak the sliders to get a good baseline for finishing?  Mine always seems to be way off if I'm using the "tips" they give you when hovering the mouse.  

For instance, I have a 3/16 endmill, 1.375" flute length, in 6061, and it's suggesting max RPM.  I'd bet my 401k that that's gonna chatter like a banshee.  

To many parameters for it to take into account to say what is the best speeds and feeds for finishing. I agree the max rpms for that tool with that LOC not a good direction. How much material are you leaving to finish with? Does it have to be 7.3X to D? Can you use a stub flute extended reach endmill?

2 hours ago, crazy^millman said:

To many parameters for it to take into account to say what is the best speeds and feeds for finishing. I agree the max rpms for that tool with that LOC not a good direction. How much material are you leaving to finish with? Does it have to be 7.3X to D? Can you use a stub flute extended reach endmill?

It's finishing a long steep wall, with some 3mm radii.  I do have a stub flute tool (1.5 reach, .234 flute length) , however, I have never had much luck getting a good finish without showing the stepdowns.  Though, I am not against the idea.  

Edit - Oh, and I am leaving .005 on the walls.  

20 minutes ago, JB7280 said:

It's finishing a long steep wall, with some 3mm radii.  I do have a stub flute tool (1.5 reach, .234 flute length) , however, I have never had much luck getting a good finish without showing the stepdowns.  Though, I am not against the idea.  

Edit - Oh, and I am leaving .005 on the walls.  

Might try leaving .0015 and I would run it at .0004 to .0006 per tooth at 2000 rpms and see what kind of finish I get and then adjust from there.

Just now, crazy^millman said:

Might try leaving .0015 and I would run it at .0004 to .0006 per tooth at 2000 rpms and see what kind of finish I get and then adjust from there.

Thanks.  I've been trying to leave more material, because recently I've been told I'm not leaving enough for finish passes, but maybe in this case, with the length, it just doesn't apply.   

In regards to using a stub flute.  Any tricks to eliminating the steps on the walls?

4 minutes ago, JB7280 said:

In regards to using a stub flute.  Any tricks to eliminating the steps on the walls?

Sometimes we clean up the steps with a ghost pass at a different z depth.

Ex. If your steps are Z0, Z-.100, Z-.200. After cutting to finish take two more passes at Z-.050 and z-.150 

You'll still end up with some kind of depth cut lines but that should mostly eliminate any steps.

1 minute ago, Jake L said:

Sometimes we clean up the steps with a ghost pass at a different z depth.

Ex. If your steps are Z0, Z-.100, Z-.200. After cutting to finish take two more passes at Z-.050 and z-.150 

You'll still end up with some kind of depth cut lines but that should mostly eliminate any steps.

I have done that before, and yes, it definitely HELPED.  Didn't eliminate, but made a bad situation better, lol.  

1 minute ago, JB7280 said:

I have done that before, and yes, it definitely HELPED.  Didn't eliminate, but made a bad situation better, lol.  

Ya I've never seen the depth lines eliminated. We try to clean it up best we can for our burr guys. Very dependent on situation too

19 hours ago, crazy^millman said:

Great results with those cutting parameters Ron.  I dropped the SFM a little bit to eliminate some of the visual "noise", but otherwise it looks great.  

Thank you. 

• Like 2
49 minutes ago, JB7280 said:

Great results with those cutting parameters Ron.  I dropped the SFM a little bit to eliminate some of the visual "noise", but otherwise it looks great.  

Thank you. 

Nothing like real world experience. Glad it was close enough to get you what you were looking for. Speed kills and in situations like this. We don't need speed we need a consistent controllable process to get the results we are after. If you are getting taper which I will suspect you are then a spring pass should work and not chatter.

On 11/10/2023 at 11:13 AM, crazy^millman said:

Nothing like real world experience. Glad it was close enough to get you what you were looking for. Speed kills and in situations like this. We don't need speed we need a consistent controllable process to get the results we are after. If you are getting taper which I will suspect you are then a spring pass should work and not chatter.

Yup, I did a spring pass and everything looks good.  Operator ran the parts out over the weekend.  

• Like 2