Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Looking for a toolpath to surface a partial cylinder

rgrin

image.thumb.png.bb033521c72ed86a9a7806bbc4cd1e3b.png

Just want to know if there is a surfacing path that allows me to climb cut, but go both directions.  I can get a toolpath to zig-zag both ways easy. And I can get a path that rapids the full length of the part over and over again.  What I would like is for it to cut one way, jump to the other side, then cut its way back.  Is this possible?  I'm in MCAM 2024 with all 3D toolpaths and 5 axis paths available.  This is just a segment of what I am cutting.  There are other avoidance geometries that aren't shown in the other segments. So, whatever path I use needs to be able to avoid geometry.

Thanks!

Roughing Test.mcam

On 3/29/2024 at 8:09 AM, rgrin said:

image.thumb.png.bb033521c72ed86a9a7806bbc4cd1e3b.png

Just want to know if there is a surfacing path that allows me to climb cut, but go both directions.  I can get a toolpath to zig-zag both ways easy. And I can get a path that rapids the full length of the part over and over again.  What I would like is for it to cut one way, jump to the other side, then cut its way back.  Is this possible?  I'm in MCAM 2024 with all 3D toolpaths and 5 axis paths available.  This is just a segment of what I am cutting.  There are other avoidance geometries that aren't shown in the other segments. So, whatever path I use needs to be able to avoid geometry.

Thanks!

Roughing Test.mcam 456.8 kB · 3 downloads

#1 you provided a file thank you!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Surface finish contour with bottom up?

image.png.4d7bf54af2f93e4452b8ca3bca100104.png

5th-Axis-Roughing-Test-answer-Surface-Finish-Contour

On 3/30/2024 at 11:06 PM, crazy^millman said:

#1 you provided a file thank you!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Surface finish contour with bottom up?

Not a bad suggestion, but the Surface Contour gets weird with the stepovers as it gets towards the apex of the cylinder.  I think Aaron's suggestion with Morph is the way to go here.  Although, seeing how Surface Contour works, I may have uses for it on another part....

2 hours ago, rgrin said:

Not a bad suggestion, but the Surface Contour gets weird with the stepovers as it gets towards the apex of the cylinder.  I think Aaron's suggestion with Morph is the way to go here.  Although, seeing how Surface Contour works, I may have uses for it on another part....

Add curve control.....old 3d Contour....

image.png.834a046a80e22de0657d8526e4a71676.png

image.png.b4f4d7a32d8e53bef56eb11151cd2e5a.png

image.png.9af3090ce3aaf6c5516db9e4cc8b0d40.png

image.png.e3a812b466f2f18e7dd98478cfbd5678.png

• Thanks 1
  • Like 2
4 hours ago, bird2010 said:

You are right, this distance can be controlled by parameters and can be adjusted according to needs.

good!

BTW good hack on the contour toolpath never tried using a curve before. I teach scallop with control curves, but never taught anyone to use a guide curve to control motion like that.

10 hours ago, crazy^millman said:

BTW good hack on the contour toolpath never tried using a curve before. I teach scallop with control curves, but never taught anyone to use a guide curve to control motion like that.

This is the pride of Mastercam!
Since I started using v9.1, it has existed functions, and it is very suitable for some occasions (electrode)
But the high-speed Contour does not incorporate this function...it is a pity

image.png.31de7c226a1f365b56b8cd3a01c40279.png

On 3/29/2024 at 8:09 AM, rgrin said:

So, whatever path I use needs to be able to avoid geometry.

I learned this toolpath here and it works great. Triangular mesh. you have an open book of options.

3D High speed Equal scallop works as well. both toolpaths are in the file, take a look and modify as you need it.

Roughing Test.emcam

Sorry about that. I'm off work for the rest of the week so I won't be able to send you a file until Monday. I could make a short vide if you are interested.

I'm not 100% sure if that's what you really need but it may help.

image.thumb.png.8240f65ce31b76f4e0ef98e9eb07fa91.png

9 hours ago, tornero32 said:

Sorry about that. I'm off work for the rest of the week so I won't be able to send you a file until Monday. I could make a short vide if you are interested.

I'm not 100% sure if that's what you really need but it may help.

No need.  I had honestly forgotten about Triangular Mesh since Unified Came out.  Might be time to take another look at it since it has some different pattern options...