Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Looking for suggestions: MP pst file NC browser/viewer?

sorry if the title is a big cryptic. I am trying to help a friend out who just started a new CNC programming job. He needs to learn the PST/MP scripting language and asked me to help him search for something that can help him view the output G-Code that would result from a .pst file. I have seen similar tools and plugins for e.g. VS Code that does this for other software's post-procecssor scripting languages, but so far I could not find something specifically for MasterCam's MP language.

So as an example, the other tools I've seen, you can click on a G-code block in a .nc file and it will point you to the exact place in the .pst where that routine is defined. Is there something similar for Mastercam scripts? I do apologise but while I'm a seasoned software developer, the totality of my experience with CAD/CAM and CNC sofware is about two months worth of Ladder Logic for Mitsubishi PLCs so i don't have the vocabulary.

Update: an example of what I'm looking for is the Autodesk Fusion Post Processor Utility plugin for SV Code.
https://marketplace.visualstudio.com/items?itemName=Autodesk.hsm-post-processor

• mavusi changed the title to Looking for suggestions: MP pst file NC browser/viewer?
1 hour ago, mavusi said:

sorry if the title is a big cryptic. I am trying to help a friend out who just started a new CNC programming job. He needs to learn the PST/MP scripting language and asked me to help him search for something that can help him view the output G-Code that would result from a .pst file. I have seen similar tools and plugins for e.g. VS Code that does this for other software's post-procecssor scripting languages, but so far I could not find something specifically for MasterCam's MP language.

So as an example, the other tools I've seen, you can click on a G-code block in a .nc file and it will point you to the exact place in the .pst where that routine is defined. Is there something similar for Mastercam scripts? I do apologise but while I'm a seasoned software developer, the totality of my experience with CAD/CAM and CNC sofware is about two months worth of Ladder Logic for Mitsubishi PLCs so i don't have the vocabulary.

Update: an example of what I'm looking for is the Autodesk Fusion Post Processor Utility plugin for SV Code.
https://marketplace.visualstudio.com/items?itemName=Autodesk.hsm-post-processor

[email protected] would be your best bet.

Hey Mavusi,
They need to enable and use the post debugger. It will give you the ability to click on a G-code block in a .nc file and it will point you to the exact place in the .pst where that routine is defined. 

In the Mastercam configuration enable the post debugger.

image.thumb.png.08a11528d97809e1caeca4d6423315e0.png

Instead of just posting run the debugger by selecting the bug
image.png.1de1252d3977627644a95ea67a051046.png
When the debugger is launched press play run the file. In the NC window you will see the G-code if you double click the line of code it will show you where the code comes from in the post. Please note that if you have an encrypted post if will only show you the portion that is not encrypted.
image.thumb.png.6baf26f069dc68a814fc4139b569e341.png

• Like 1

Yep, Post Debugger, and you need a Mastercam License to use/run this.

Also, you can install and use Mastercam Code Expert, which has all the pre-defined variables and functions listed, using an "auto-complete" feature.

By the way, if you're looking to learn about Post Processors, I have a free Post Processor Class (actually several) on my YouTube Channel. Link in my Signature.

For MP 101 - Basic Post Processing, there are 28 videos. Be sure to watch all the Office Hours sessions as well.

For MP 301 - 5-Axis Post Processing, there are 20 videos.

• Like 3