Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

304 Cutting questions

jspangler

Hi

The material is 304 stainless and is .5 thick with 5 through holes that need to be tapped. My laser guy claims he can hold .005, but some of the stuff he's done in the past looks a little sloppy on the outer contours so I want to finish them here. I've heard that 304 is a monster to cut after it's been cut with a laser. Any suggestions? What about reaming the holes and roll tapping them, will that work or should I just re-drill them?

I need to get the job in and out fast.

Thanks

John

I don't know about the laser, but 304 does work harden when tools get dull and heated up so my guess is that the laser isn't going to help much. 304 does roll tap nicely when the material is annealed (typically how you would buy it). Try redrilling the holes with a reground end mill instead of a reamer. If your holes are less than 1/4" run the drill size for 55% threads. Also chamfer the top side before tapping especially if there is scale on the surface.

We have 3 lasers here and that is one of my pet peeves. I HATE working on laser cut holes. The heat affected zone i've been told gets to around 70 rockwell c. I think its only a few thou deep but it dulls tools fast. The best luck I've had is cutting 1mm. deep on any laser cut holes. I usually ask if we can drill and tap on the machine then I know everything is predictable.

• 2 weeks later...

HI

Still trying to figure the best way to get this done. Skipping the holes with the laser is not a problem, and by having him blank out the parts, it will actually be cheaper than me buying the material in bars and cutting it so shape.

He suggested (as a few here have also suggested) that by oversizing the outer contour by .03, I will be able to cut "under" the hardened edge, and not wear the tools out.

We'll see...

John

Guest CNC Apps Guy 1

I'd also consider threadmilling. A little pricey up front but the number of holes you get from a thread mill... can't beat it with a stick. biggrin.gif

JM2C

Hey John, you do anything with that lathe yet???