Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Anyone familiar with a Thermwood Model 670 Cartesian 5?

Engineer

We have a 20 year old machine at work I am having problems with it. I wrote a code that sent the machine over its z axis limit. I expected it to to just give me an error saying something like "can't go that far" or something more techincal than that. Now the machine is stuck in e-stop, I can manipulate the heads by holding the NC Reset button but this is not a proper solution. I have already tried to move it away from home position so I can't think of anything else. I need help.

We have a winner manunally move it oof the limit by moving the ball screw when in emergency stop but you have to relase the mechinal stop on top to do this.

The 4th axis on new machines if at 360 degree's and hit e-stop and then try to home the machine from there they will over travel and do the same thing so you then have to manunally move it off to get rid of the Alarm.

Good luck

Jeff- I don't think there is an overtravel release on this machine, unless I am so blind haha. I have held the nc reset button while powering up and it didn't work. I called Thermwood and did what he said and it didn't work: hold nc reset, push the e-stop button, release nc reset and then reboot.

Ron- so basically I have to manual move it out of over travel? I am able to move it as if it was working, but as soon as I release the nc reset it goes back into e-stop. It shouldn't be in overtravel position anymore.

+100 for Ron.

This happens to me all the time.

Turn power off. Release any brake on that axis. Turn Ball screw by hand until clear of limit switch. Check parameters that might now conflict with you possible new home position. Re-home your machine and then reset your parameters.

HTH, Lee.

I can't move the ball screw by hand and I don't see any sort of mechanical stop. For some reason now it won't even work when I hold the NC Reset button. It goes into E-stop after I attempt to move in any axis. I am back to square one with this machine. I have checked all the limit switches ( the initial problem I had) and looked over the entire computer and wiring setups. I have no idea what is wrong now!!! I'll see you guys from the unemployment line, haha.

Ok look right above the ball screw

there is a machinal lock that keep the ball screw from moving when e-stop is hit that is the click you always here. No other axis has this lock. You may nee to completely remove it but that is what si holding the Z-axis in place when you power down if not then the head would always fall when the air is cut off to it. It should like a star wheel or soemthing and a pin that is actaved by air. Most time when you power up it will not come lose only when you get it out of E-stop you can not do that so you need ot completely remove that unit but it will allow the ball screw to move if you do and thus will get you off the limits and solve your problem hope that helps.

Ron

There must be something else wrong with the machine becuase the Plant manager and I spent an hour using every suggestion each of you have given me, thank you by the way. Nothing worked. We both agreed that rather me losing my hair over this we will just advise our boss to allow a service technician to come and fix the whole thing. What do you guys think?