Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Trim surface normal for sweep

Yes … as coordinate system (csys). Sorry about that.

More specifically, what I'm trying to do is sweep as surface around the trim edge of an automotive part. The surface must remain both normal to the surface and normal to the trim edge boundary of the automotive part at all times.

This surface will represent the permissible tolerance band of the part edge and the geometry will be used scribe (CNC) the trim line on an inspection gauge.

[ 07-13-2004, 01:08 PM: Message edited by: Steven Sutherland ]

Ok you are trying to recreate the max mateiral condition as a surface that is an offsets of the orignal suface so that when you do a point cloud data on the part the area between the 2 surfaces will be the good parts and the area outside of the surfaces will be bad parts in this you are trying to matain some one ideas of a 3d surface profile and would it be just as easy to do an offset of the 3d surface or you could trim the surface to line then create a curve fro mthat edge on another layer then offset that surface to the desired amount ahdn you would just need ot recreat all the wirframe for the path that it taking seems like a long process and think offset of the surface might yeild the same results or a scale of the orignal part the allowalbe devation then you have the max and the min as to models. This is my thinking on it. Busy but will lok at your model later and see what I come it while others will hopefully help you out.

Thad, I'm not sure what Steve has for machines or if this is what he need's. I was just looking to see if this was the direction he wanted to go with the part or not. I take it you saw the part, are you familiar with what he's asking for? I'm not quite sure but just looking to help. Lot's of great people and advice here I've taken advantage of just looking to return the favor. cheers.gif